• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ramsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord09

Hello all,

I'm using the new Zalman heatpipe on my FX5800 Ultra, which works great at getting rid of the head-splitting noise, but in the process of removing the stock HSF, the ram chips have no active cooling now.

I think I'm just gonna watercool it with one of the new maze blocks or maybe a swiftech one if they have something that fits.

In order to cool the ram chips, I think I'm gonna need some really good ramsinks, since the mem modules on the 5800 or extremely HOT, unless there's an alternative to ramsinks, which I am unaware of.

Can anyone recommend a good ( set of 8 ) brand of ramsinks? I saw 8 for $30 at dangerden.com, but that seemed pretty expensive. How are those? Is that the going rate?

Thanks a lot,

DP

I paid $4.45 +$1 shipping for these eight BGA ramsinks I found at Ebay's Fans and Heatsink section

Naturally I am going to grind down 3mm off the base and reapply a 3mm Solid Silver base, after All I am Silversinksam :)

Seriously if your patient you can get Ramsinks cheap if you know where to look. This seller sells them periodicly, so maybe send him an inter ebay email asking him to list a set for you. As the Buy It Now price is $4.45 and you can't go wrong with a dollar for shipping ;)

i-1.JPG

Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for...

How are you gonna attach the sinks?

DP

Arctic Silver adhesive $8.99 free shipping But I suggest if your new to affixing ramsinks you use Arctic Alumina Adhesive $6.45 Free shipping

Arctic Silver Adhesive can, and has killed many video cards due to people not taking enough precautions such as taping around the memory pins etc. Alumina adhesive gives you a little leeway and is much more forgiving if you get any on the memory traces, but care and caution is still warranted, do it right the first time and you will save time and headaches later. Arctic Silver makes great products, but people need to pay attention to what they are doing when using this product, or any after-market product for that matter.

Also these BGA ramsinks bought on Ebay include thermal tape, I will be throwing that in the trash can :rolleyes:

Silversinksam said:
Naturally I am going to grind down 3mm off the base and reapply a 3mm Solid Silver base, after All I am Silversinksam :)

Can we see some pic's of that?

you can always pickup cheapo HSF's from old pentiums and such and use a hacksaw, that's what I do.

I just e-mailed the same guy that SSS purchased his BGA sinks from on E-bay .
He has a few sets left . I just ordered a set from him for the same price of $4.45 +$1 shipping .

You can contact him at vskwong @pacbell.net (his name is Victor)

Thanks for the heads up SSS ! ;) :D

stereo555

Edit by Silversinksam: I slightly edited his email address so any Spam Bots can't harvest his email address I simply put a space before the @

Arctic Alumina Adhesive is awesome to stick stuff. I put an AMD original HS to a Radeon 9800 Pro and also used it to stick some ramsinks I bought for it.

The RAM sinks allowed me to overclock to 390Mhz, before it was doing 378Mhz

With the AMD heatsink plus a globalwin 68000 RPM fan and air conditioning blowing on the card I was able to get 444Mhz on the core.

stock is 378 core /337 ram I believe.

The card killed my FX 5900U in 3Dmark 2001 by about 600 points.

However in real world gaming is not as fast as the FX 5900U. I really like the AA of the Radeon 9800 Pro better though.

6X AA on the readeon is as good as 8XS AA on the FX 5900U.

Now to my FX 5900U I just glued 2 termaltake case fans. One of each side since it has heatsinks on both sides that cover both the RAM and GPU. And using air conditioning I can get.

523Mhz core and 977Mhz RAM. That seems to be much better than what others get just with the stock cooling.

now how about this.

idle my card is 23C and under full load it gets to 70C. Is amazing how hot these cards get.

Although I would love to hear from people that may have their FX 5900U water cooled to see if it overclocks better.

stereo555 said:
I just e-mailed the same guy that SSS purchased his BGA sinks from on E-bay .
He has a few sets left . I just ordered a set from him for the same price of $4.45 +$1 shipping .

You can contact him at vskwong @pacbell.net (his name is Victor)

Thanks for the heads up SSS ! ;) :D

stereo555

Edit by Silversinksam: I slightly edited his email address so any Spam Bots can't harvest his email address I simply put a space before the @

He was very courteous and sent me prompt updates regarding my purchase, although I still havent recieved them yet I am not concerned. Only been a week and Monday was a holiday and that always screws up the mail.

PS Glad you bought them because you won't find a better deal for 8 ;)

Just how big are those ramsinks? you have any size specs? Are they aluminum i assume...Still a damn good deal. Just wanna be sure they will be good for my 9700pro :)

gruvin2 said:
Just how big are those ramsinks? you have any size specs? Are they aluminum i assume...Still a damn good deal. Just wanna be sure they will be good for my 9700pro :)

There are pics in this Thread (they will fit your 9700 pro perfectly)

saulin said:
With the AMD heatsink plus a globalwin 68000 RPM fan and air conditioning blowing on the card I was able to get 444Mhz on the core.

wow thats fast... wha sort of cfm does it push :D

id dread to even think about the noise.... :eek

Back