• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to replace 6 year old system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look what I found. I think it was a different thread but this is my 5775C based system which is currently set up as an Unraid box. I'm just about to disconnect the HDs, add a SSD and 1080 Ti and see how that does today. Can a CX450 drive a 1080 Ti? :D My other spare PSU is the HX1000i which I'm sure will be fine otherwise.

IMG_20231204_120553.jpg

Edit: It has a single 8 pin PCIe power connector. Maybe I misremembered exactly which GPU I used it with. If not the 980Ti, then it would have been the 1070. Both are blower style and would have fit in the ITX case.

Last edited:
It's an Unraid box, the GPU just puts a picture on the screen, no? Worst-case, integrated should serve it up fine?

It's an Unraid box, the GPU just puts a picture on the screen, no? Worst-case, integrated should serve it up fine?
In the current use as unraid box it doesn't need any video output at all as it is managed by web interface.

Adding the GPU is for reasons in another thread https://www.overclockers.com/forums...ent-of-i7-5775c-type-cpus.804529/post-8200628
I'll run some game benchmarks, then revert it back to unraid later.

Oh, I found a CX550M which I moved into that box now, as it does have two PCIe power connectors needed to feed the 1080 Ti. I guess I still have some CX PSUs around here!

From a seasoned X299 user, I would implore you to wait. There is a lot of life left in your system, and if you need to squeeze more just upgrade CPU to an i9-10940x or 10980xe. Quad channel memory and 48 pcie lanes are most relevant today. If you're a ganmer just get a good GPU on top of the upgraded CPU and you'll be good for couple more years. Exciting and significant improvements in IPC are coming due to node shrinking on the horizon in the next 2 years. Your system is still a very powerful machine and very relevant today, despite the naysayers. Yes AMD is the king today, but what Apple has introduced with their M3 Max, has got AMD and Intel to have to up there game. Exponential improvements are in the pipeline. Save your money for a year or two and you'll be glad you did. IMHO.

Look what I found. I think it was a different thread but this is my 5775C based system which is currently set up as an Unraid box. I'm just about to disconnect the HDs, add a SSD and 1080 Ti and see how that does today. Can a CX450 drive a 1080 Ti? :D My other spare PSU is the HX1000i which I'm sure will be fine otherwise.

I used to run 1080Ti with SF450 / 450W Gold PSU, and it was still fine, but clearly not far from PSU limits. However, a SP450 is significantly better than a CX450.

Exciting and significant improvements in IPC are coming due to node shrinking on the horizon in the next 2 years.
The points you raised are mostly covered already in this thread. I wasn't updating randomly, but because at the time I genuinely felt the system was failing, which no longer seems to be the case.

My original plan was and still is to wait for next gen consumer. It should be Intel's next major shift on desktop, and AMD Zen 5 could be interesting too.

I do feel X299 is getting quite behind the curve on low thread performance which is the main driving force. Basically we have Skylake, so we're lacking significantly in IPC already not to mention the clock deficit on top of that. I want to have my cake and eat it, but such a system is not affordable right now.

I do feel X299 is getting quite behind the curve on low thread performance which is the main driving force. Basically we have Skylake, so we're lacking significantly in IPC already not to mention the clock deficit on top of that.
It is true you are on the low end of the X299 platform. I have 2 X299 systems, a Skylake 7900x on an EVGA FTW-k and a Cascade Lake i9-10980xe on an ASUS X299 Edition 30. Both have 64 GB of ram and one with a Quadro RTX 4000 and the other an RTX a4000. I can assure you that the 10980xe is no slouch, but then I’m not a gamer. I do scientific computational modeling and the with a stable oc the 10980xe is altogether a huge performance lift from my 7900x. I’d upgrade to a cascade lake with a slight oc to get you thru the next year or so. Although your 7920x should overclock quite easily with a good aio or quality air cooler like my Noctua D15. In addition a quality PSU is so important, yours might have a few years on it. I have read through this thread, and find the responses quite interesting. Good luck.

It is true you are on the low end of the X299 platform.
I'd argue it is mid range at 12 out of possible 6-18 cores (excluding Alder Lake-X at 4 cores), and it has the higher end PCIe lanes available. The generations didn't really change much. For my use cases I'm not looking for more cores, but faster cores. I don't feel I'd benefit significantly from having 18 cores of comparable speed, as opposed to keeping at 12 cores but with current consumer generations I could be looking at 50% uplifts at lower thread counts.

Because my use cases includes the most strenuous AVX-512 workloads like Prime95 equivalent, overclocking isn't productive if I care at all about stability, which I do. I'd happily run an unstable OC for benching but will not tolerate a single error for daily use. If I had gone Zen 4, I would have lost out in AVX-512 IPC although it would be offset from higher clocks overall. Even if I were to ditch the AVX-512 requirement, I'd still need absolute stability in worst case AVX2 workloads at close to 5 GHz to be worth the bother of an OC, and SKX isn't really up for that.

I'd argue it is mid range at 12 out of possible 6-18 cores (excluding Alder Lake-X at 4 cores), and it has the higher end PCIe lanes available. The generations didn't really change much. For my use cases I'm not looking for more cores, but faster cores. I don't feel I'd benefit significantly from having 18 cores of comparable speed, as opposed to keeping at 12 cores but with current consumer generations I could be looking at 50% uplifts at lower thread counts.

Because my use cases includes the most strenuous AVX-512 workloads like Prime95 equivalent, overclocking isn't productive if I care at all about stability, which I do. I'd happily run an unstable OC for benching but will not tolerate a single error for daily use. If I had gone Zen 4, I would have lost out in AVX-512 IPC although it would be offset from higher clocks overall. Even if I were to ditch the AVX-512 requirement, I'd still need absolute stability in worst case AVX2 workloads at close to 5 GHz to be worth the bother of an OC, and SKX isn't really up for that.
Yes. I see, just noticed your main system description, my bad. Your components are most certainly up to supporting the CPU no doubt, I had assumed that the components were from the year of the CPU, 2017. However I'd still give it a slight overclock.

Back