• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I stabilize the NB chipset besides more cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merc Zephyr

Greetings

I am confident that the cpu (2.6c) and ram are ok. On my p4p800d, I'm having a little stability trouble above 245fsb. What can I do besides more cooling because I tried that and it didn't make a difference. Would raising VDDQ help? If so what is a safe max for it? Or can I try something else?

Hoping for some answers
Cheers

well what case do you have and
where/howmany/direction blowing fans do you have and what size are they

man this is a cooling isue, ok!, so if you understand how to cool properly by someone who knows what there doing then this will work and if money isant an isue, well acually iven if it is this is 100% what you want right now i have about 30 bucks canaidian (I am canaidian and i dont drink molsen slew ,it all about carona baby) and im saving for that so i just shut off the idia about oc untill iget the good cooling and thats what you should do soo look here and if you ask any one this is your best solution some ppl think that its to big with some hs's but its all about moding if itdosent fit and it will unless you have an oversized special edition slk900u ok so check it out
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minochcokit.html
and use all 92mm fans or 120mm 2 front 1 side 1 back 1 top and a 2 fan ps like the ultement enermax the best ps id say

Wow, that was an incredible stream of consciousness. :p

Merc- What makes you so sure your CPU and Memory aren't the culprits. The 2.6c's don't have as much headroom as the 2.4c's. You might be hitting it's maximum. Also, are you using a 5:4 memory divider, or are you running your memory 1:1? If it is 1:1, you need some really good memory to run those speeds stable.

Hi Needitcooler, thank you for your response.

To provide more info, I should mention that I am running 2 instances of Prime95 as my stability test. One torture test is the smaller FFT lengths which are supposed to focus on the processor's FPU and the other test is with the higher FFT lengths where if an error occurs it is supposed to be more indicative of a chipset or memory error. (My understanding of prime comes from reading a post where forum member NookieN described these differences and he seems to know what he is talking about.) It is in the prime with high FFT that my errors are occuring.

What makes you so sure your CPU and Memory aren't the culprits
1. Changing vcore from default up to 1.6V does not help.
2. The test with the smaller FFT runs as long as I want it to which, if my above info is correct, seems to indicate that the cpu is still running strong.
3. If the error in higher FFTs indicates a memory or chipset problem then I suspect the chipset because I have tested the memory with memtest fairly thoroughly and I have a good idea of its limits.

The 2.6c's don't have as much headroom as the 2.4c's. You might be hitting it's maximum.
I thought about that but I think the above shows that the cpu can go higher. What I am afraid of is that I have it the limit of the chipset. I have heard how the springdales are more of a mixed bag then the canterwoods as far as the limit of the fsb. I am just making sure I try everything before giving up.

The reason I say "besides cooling" is that, just to experiment, I opened the case and put a portable fan right beside it and lowered the mboard temp from 38C to 28C but still getting the errors in prime.

are you using a 5:4 memory divider, or are you running your memory 1:1?
I am running 5:4 and making sure I am well within the capabilities of my memory.

I should also mention that I am not getting any CTD's or BSOD's but if Prime95 is to be believed then I probably will if I go much higher. Oh well, I'll try some other programs and hope for the best.

Cheers

Well, if you can't get the chipset to go any further, you might want to try lowering your fsb to a level that your memory can handle 1:1, then applying the PAT hack. http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51548&highlight=p4p800+pat*
If you can get that memory to run at like DDR470 with PAT enabled, you would have a pretty nice system.

I am still skeptical of the chipset being the culprit. I have installed 3 of these boards in various computers, plus my own, and each has hit at least 275 fsb. CPU being the limiting factor each time. You might want to peruse the board I gave a link to. That is by far the best forum dealing with Asus motherboards.

Back