• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Isn't 65 degrees too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevral

Registered
My friend told me yesterday that his non-overclocked Athlon (he didn't remember the exact model, but it is a few months old) with an Igloo Silent Breeze, is running at 65 degrees Centigrade -- IDLE.
I went "WHAT?", and he said that when it was new, it would constantly shutdown. He then had the store look at it, and it came back @65, but without auto-shutting down. The store had applied goop and deemed the machine OK.

Now my suspicions are:
-All the store did was apply goop and turn off or reset the auto-shutdown temperature, and give it back to him.
-This has to be way too hot.
-That CPU won't last very long.

What do you think?

Yeah right on the mark that is too hot, its close to the maximium thermal specs of the processor i think.
But there could be other reasons too like the board reading the temp incorrectly there are loads of mobos with dodgy sensors. Better to check with another temp probe.
I wouldn't recommend running a cpu that hot it can't be good for it so try to check it soon.
Good luck.

a bit toasty.

my friends' P4 system was delivered to him with NO thermal paste or pad between the heatsink and processor!

scary how imcompetent these store owners can be.

65 degrees C at IDLE is way too high. Load temps can easily increase the temp 8-12 degrees. Is the HSF mounted correctly? I have a generic HSF running on a OCed 1700XP (1800Mhz), and it hits 53 Degrees C (load) with only one 80mm case fan.

Thats pretty hot. Not out of spec but too close for comfort. The heatsink is probably not mounted properly or there is too much or too little thermal compound. How is temps in the case? Its also possible that the case just has horrid airflow.

sry guys but its not THAT high..
Im running @ 55°C IDLE at mom and now its quite cool here.. back when it was really warm i also had bout 60-65°C idle...
i guess most Heatsink manufactors think that there is a Fan in the case... if your friend would add a fan ... a noiseblocker or something like that... not so much depending on cfm.. it would be enough to drop temps by at least 10°C
dont call me a fool but the comp from my girlfriend is about 42°C with same chip/mobo/HSF and frequenzy the only difference is one lousy casefan......
only reason for me to not include one is watercooling :).. but that lasts for too long now...

I used to run my Athlon 950 overclocked to a whopping 1024mhz at something like 59°C idle on the stock cooler. It would get unstable sometimes in the summer at around 65°C. These processors ran real hot. For me, the main problem was airflow. I'd take off the side panel of the dell case I was using :D, and that would solve it. Just like Paule said, adding a couple of case fans can be very benefical.

Guess I have to take a look at his airflow one day, and see if I can add some fans.
Thanks!

What type of case is your chum using?

I remember that back in the old days, there where cases that had their PSUs directly over the CPU region. This could seriously harm airflow into the heatsink.

Also try to make sure that the CPU's fan is actually running. A burned out fan or one that isn't even plugged in might be the cause of concern.

I would never run my CPU that high. For me the optimal temp. is around 40c at the most. I would tell him to get a new heatsink and some high quality thermal paste like Artic Silver 3.

Thank You,
Daniel

if that's an OEM computer, then the temperature is OK... all OEM's sacrifice airflow, and thereby temperature, to limit noise... just try to touch a Dell's heatsink :D

if he's not having random shutdown/reboot problems, leave it as is... i guarantee he's not gonna be happy with the noise if you just start adding fans

It might be bad temp reports... my mobo reports my proc temp as 63 load, and yet I never get any problems. But then again, my mobo's notoruious for reporting much higher temps than other mobos. 65 idle might be a tiny bit high.

Back