• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need...More!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

Ugh, I need more Mhz! I'm at 213x11.5 at the moment (contary to what my sig says - it can go to 220 though)

So, I'm at 2449.5 - lets call it 2450MHz... I want more, the problem is that 1.8v the system will hang, it takes a while usually, but i think the voltage must fluctuate slightly and push the CPU over the edge as its really not happy at anything above 1.8v.

My tems are about 45 load at 1.75v so about 46 at 1.8v, which is not that hot really, but does anyone have any ideas how to squeese any more MHz out of my system, or am I going to have to go to something more extreem - phase change cooling etc?

I have no clue what type of cooling you have. Try 1.95v. My chip will do 2.4 at 1.72v, but to do 2.5+ it needs 1.95v+

It doesn't sound like a temp problem. Could be your PSU, what ya got? The +12 vrail might not be able to handle 1.8 vcore if you have a generic or bad power supply. That may be why you can't get higher. I had a 420watt PSU it would shutdown my computer with everything at stock. I bought a Enermax 350w and everything is fine. I've overclocked my vcore over 1.85 easy. You should be able to get to 2.4ghz off 1.65v but to get to 2.5 your gonna go well past 1.8v, even 2.45 may need more than you can handle. Try 220x11. set your Vcore to 1.7 to be safe, if it fails then try 1.75v and see if that works.

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
must monitor pwr supply voltages... then see if it's fluctuating on the main rails.. 5v/12v to determine if your cpu is receiving stable current/volts.

1. Make sure you bend the thermistor in the socket up a little so it contacts the underside of the cpu. This will get you much better readings.

2. What's your PSU?

3. I seem to recall the DLT3C's had some problems with high volts early on.

yes, the dlt3c's sometimes don't like voltages above 1.8. My first guess howerver would also be PSU, alot of psu's will drop too much voltage off the 5v rail when vcore is raised. Check 5v and 12v rails with a multimeter if possible. if you do not have access to a multimeter set mbm5 or an equivalent proggy to monitor and log voltage rail high/low's.

J.

I have an Antec 550W True Power PSU, the rails at the moment are: 11.73v and 4.92v I noticed the 12v rail does seem a bit low even with this powersupply...

Having said that though, I know that the Abit NF7-s takes the CPU power from the 12v rail, and I'm loading it quite heavily already - I have 4 Hard disks - 2 of which are raptors, one cd one dvd drive, and 5 case fans - along with my GeForce 4 Ti 4600

Do you still think its the PSU???

As for cooling, I have and SLK 900U with an 80mm delta, I can run 2449.5MHz (213x11.5) with 1.775v (In the bios) it mbm5 it reports the voltage as 1.71-1.73 it doesnt fluctuate too much, but I havn't seen it go higher or lower than those, however given enough time I'm sure it could just push it over the edge.

If I run at 1.8v then the system will lock up after a while... If at 1.825 it will lock up quickly, if at 1.85 it won't even post :( The CPU is a DLT3C - so stock is 1.5v

If you guys think that it might be a PSU problem, do you think it might be a better idea to exchange my current 550W true power for an Enermax PSU - as they have very beefy 12v rails...

Thanks for all the help :)

I seriously doubt your PSU is the culprit. I mean, 24 amps at 12V should enough to power you system with 10 hard drives attached. I upgraded my the PSU in my Barton machine from a 350W Fortron to a Antec TC550 and my overclock stayed the same.

Before trying to hit 2.45 or 2.5ghz try to hit 2.3 and 2.4. See if you can achieve those first. It doesn't sound like the PSU is the culprit an Antec 550 is the best you can get, even with all that stuff in your system. Oh, and if none of that works, have you tried to burn in your CPU?

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
Back