• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to find out if cpu dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alba5

Registered
hey guys, i've got a barton 2500 that i think is fried. my question is: is there a way to check with multimeter and if yes how? there is no visual signs of anything broken or damaged. would hate to have to buy another one. thanks:(

I don't know how they work, but there is a multimeter reader.

Two ways:

1) Buy a CPU Multimeter reader. You put the CPU in a socket that is connected to a digital meter. Don't know how it works, but reviews say it works great!

2) If you know someone that has a rare dual-processor mobo, borrow it. To check it, make sure that the dual mobo has a running CPU in it. Put the bad one in the other socket and run off the good one. Go into the bios and look at CPU 2. If the speed reads wrong, buy a new one:(

Hope that you get it to working:)

thanks for the quick replies, when i turn on my comp. fans , hd, everything turn on but no post screen. I tried a different cpu and that one booted up. so i know it's my barton.

Sorry to hear that. Go to www.pricewatch.com to find a new CPU at a good price. They list well-known and unknown stores with the best prices avaiable.

I recommend www.newegg.com if your not worried about the price (they aren't expensive there or anything, just not he cheapest). I always order from there. They usually ship it the next day and comes 3 days later, not to mention free shipping on all AMD processors.

Try pricewatch first and happy CPU hunting.

If you 'fried' it then you should probably be able to see a dark discolored area on the bottom of the chip. I've fried two chips and discoloration is visible - to varying degrees - on each.

edit:: I know you said no visible damage, but just making sure.

i think if you switched in another cpu and it worked, then it's a good enough indication that your barton is dead

Cyrix_2k said:
Try washing the cpu off with alcohol. Let it dry for 24 hours and try it again. It might work.

I'll second that. I've done that before and a CPU will just start working again no matter how bad it seems. It's not certain it will work, but it's worth the try:)

Back