• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So who wants to try an apple (bred)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Barton

im thinking about building a 3rd rig with a 1.6 applebred once they become widely available, as i have some parts that will soon be spare parts so i can build a new machine. im thinking of getting an FIC AU13 board, putting my geil in that one and getting some buffalo for my primary rig (sig), putting my geforce in the applebred rig and getting a 9800np, and a cheap WD 40gb/8mb, along with an SK7 SF2. from what ive read, this chip is capable of 400FSB, so im sure it will be a nice OCer....depending on stepping of course. does anybody know what this chip even looks like? is it Tbred style or t-bird/duron/pally style? i think its an awesome deal for $40, especially with an $80 mobo and other leftover parts.

i will have to try this, i currently have an older ecs board and pretty much everything to build a new computer(for pretty much just internet to keep peeps out of my bedroom) all i need is a hardrive and processor

thats a good idea, i should do that with my duron rig as well and put it in my living room. hell, its a good way to bring your non-gaming friends to the darkside and show em what multiplayer is all about......thats what made me drop the playstation and never look back again.

Since its a tbred with 1/4 the l2 cache I'm wondering if it has a chance of hitting a higher ghz than the tbred since the lack of cache may help it run cooler.

johnoh said:
Since its a tbred with 1/4 the l2 cache I'm wondering if it has a chance of hitting a higher ghz than the tbred since the lack of cache may help it run cooler.

Well cache does not get very hot, well far from the FPU Decoders. if anything the larger die because of more cache would cause the chip to run cooler. Take example the Pally Xp and the T-Bred Xp the Pally physically used more wattage but ran cooler then the T-Bred, reason was that the pally had a greater area for the heat the transfer from processor die to heatsink.

That is unless they just disable the cache on current T-breds or the Bartons then you are right but maybe by only a few *c

Mr. $T$ said:

Well cache does not get very hot, well far from the FPU Decoders. if anything the larger die because of more cache would cause the chip to run cooler. Take example the Pally Xp and the T-Bred Xp the Pally physically used more wattage but ran cooler then the T-Bred, reason was that the pally had a greater area for the heat the transfer from processor die to heatsink.

That is unless they just disable the cache on current T-breds or the Bartons then you are right but maybe by only a few *c

What is your theory on why the barton is a few C higher than a tbred at equal ghz?

I can tell you that I have a 1.6 applegred and with 1.8 volts
and 13x171+2314 it runs cooler than my DLT3C 1700+ with the same specs so perhaps the lack of L2 cache does account for a temp differance( Approx 4cat idle)

I have a 1.6 Applebred as well. It's an MIXHB from Newegg. I've only been able to [email protected] with full L2 Cache enabled. That's about the fastest setting it has ran stable on. Of course, it is on a MSI K7T Turbo2. Temps are good though.

Back