• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT Smart Fan 2 1/2? (volcano 9 improvements FYI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

well, my old smart fan 2 on top of my volcano9 died the other day. The date printed on it was September 2002. So, i had to take the whole HSF unit to get replaced, they did it, and i noticed sevral upgrades made to both the smt fan 2 and the Volcano 9 heat sink. First, the new smart fan 2 had a date of March 2003, one thing i noticed that could differentiate this unit from the old one is by the screw holes it is slightly indented or hollowed out. That isnt the big change i noticed though, it seemed to not have the usuall smart fan 2 whine, the old one you could always hear a distinctive "eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" even at the lowest speed, this one is totally silent at the lowest speed, and at 4800 RPM, is much more silent than the old one at 4800, and seems to just make the noise of the air, and you can barely hear the "eeerrrrrrrrrrrr" so it seems more like a panaflow to me, but one problem with this fan, i think the motor is less powerful becuase it only tops out at the 4800 rpm @ 75cfm. It used to go to 6000 RPM @ an estimated by me 85-90ish cfm.

The Volcano 9 heatsink, still has the same rough bottem that you can file your nails on, BUT the old one the copper core at the bottem, whent all the way though and the aluminum part was build AROUND it, but with this new one, it dosent go all the way through, so the aluminum peice (fins, base) goes not only around it but on top, so the top of the copper disk is covered by the aluminum section, this lowered my temps quite a bit.

well, anyways, just an FYI on some improvements that they made

Cheers!
-f1
:)

sorry guys, i have no digicam :(

cpufan, dont hesitate to break out the 'ol buddy christ pic :D
unfortunatly the improvements to the fan are great for silence, but im getting the same performance as the old volcano 9 becuase the fan running slower creates alot less static pressure, so it cant shove as much air though the heatsink, and then the heatsink being better kinda cancels it out.

-f1
:)

Back