• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Ram is getting pretty hot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ttfrog

My buffalo 3700s are getting pretty darn hot. The stick near my cpu fan is just warm-ish, not uncomfortable to touch, but the ones farther away from my cpu fan are kinda uncomfortable to touch, and my mbm reades 41 degrees as a system temp (this is running 2 instances of prime95, during just gaming and whatnot it hangs around 36-37, and with one instance prime59 ~ 38-39) . Any advice on what i should do to cool this ram, or is this normal? (I dont think so..). Could these temperatures be damaging my ram? I have 2.8v into my ram and im' running an abit is7. Could adding a fan above the ram help this at all, or should I not bother since these are just temps running 2x prime95?

how is your case airflow? is seems like there isn't enough circulation to get cool air to the second stick

stan03 said:
how is your case airflow? is seems like there isn't enough circulation to get cool air to the second stick

Bingo! We have a winner!

Abit board temps do read about 5C higher than most, but you should read in the mid to high thirties with adequate case airflow. Adequate these days is in the 100-150cfm region. Two 92mm fans or at least one 120 is advised. I use two 50cfm NMB 92mm fans (2850rpm) blowing out directly behind the cpu area. I also have a 48cfm YSTech 80mm fan running wide open in the power supply. My supply is overloaded at present and needs tremendous airflow to remain stable.

Another important issue is the inlet. We would like all air drawn to come through an area slightly larger than our two 92mm fans (or whatever we use in the back), and be unobstructed. The rest of the case should be sealed. If we meet these conditions almost all of the air the rear exhaust can push will enter the lower front of the case and eliminate the need for intake fans at the same time it enforces a proper bottom-to-top airflow pattern. It is also easy to filter the intake when it all enters thusly. I use pieces cut from a home AC filter element to filter my case's inlet.

Once you get your case ventilation up to par you should have no problems with the ram heating, I'm running 2.97V and mine's fine. I do have good case ventilation though, 35-38C system temp. Do use the Winbond hardware doctor that comes with the board (and is available for download on Abit's site), as it is calibrated for your board's sensors--and MBM may or may not.

If you decide on a Copper memory heatspreader contact this Ebayer, he will make a listing for you to use a Buy it now of $3.50, and shipping is $2

Its really the best deal around as they are not the very thin copper ones that most vendors sell. These are the thicker copper variety and this seller is great, I've bought a few and referred many people to him as he ships fast.

But as many people have mentioned in this thread, heatspreaders are useless if your airflow is poor. (heck some people say heatspreaders are completely useless, but thats for each person to decide for themselves)

Back