• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 vs 5:4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

int

Registered
I'm running my 2.4c @ 3ghz (250fsb:200mem) with the memory timed at 2-3-2-6, GAT Street Racer 2.6v. I'm wondering because I've seen so many benchmarks where the mem bandwidth and benchmarking is so much better when the system is running in sync at 1:1. My question is, is it worth RMA'ing this Corsair Twinx3200LL and getting some Twinx4000, sacrificing some timing for some synchronous overclockage and much higher max ram speeds? Also, does anyone know if the Corsair PC4000 has the same problem as the PC3200 CH5 does with posting once the system fsb is past 255mhz?

Thanks in advance.

No, it's not worth it to pursue 1:1 if you can't keep the timings down (and you can't with current memory types). Up the voltage and try to further lower you timings or perhaps get F1 working.

isnt the max for our is7-e ram voltage 2.8v ?

if u have a great cpu that'll allow you to run a fsb over 280 or so, u might want to consider this option.be advised its a little tougher to get everything runnin that fast-(like cpu heat, memory that will run over 280. extra mb cooling etc.)but boy does it produce some eye popin memory bandwidth. thats what im doing with my ic7 and 2.4c. whatever u decide, goodluck and have fun....

I'd say no. You figure an extra 100-200$ for a few points here and there. Not worth it unless you are already buying LN2 to try and get famous. 1:1 beats 5:4 from what I've seen, despite the ravenous claims (based almost entirely on highly dubious 3dmark scores) otherwise. But I've also noticed that the difference is almost not there excepting bandwidth benchmarks. The very rare realworld apps when the difference is noticable seem divided between the two. 1:1 wins some, as does 5:4.

And though it's a PITA to do (I ripped the soldering tab off by accident with my iron and had to solder a wire THROUGH the motherboard itself), a vdimm mod really helps these boards.

well not just the 1:1, but actually being able to get my cpu past 255mhz also into the equation. this twinx3200ll isnt letting me do that, so im thinking of going the mushkin level 2 direction, and seeing how high i can go 1:1 or even possibly some low latency pc4000. any recommendations?

Back