• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 Corsair Dominator Ver 1.2 - 1 out of 4 sticks work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I found a set of 4x1GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator Ver 1.2 memory that also had the memory fan included. I got them for my 775 boards but was looking at using them in my AM2+ board also. I already had my AM2+ ECS IC780M-A (I Cafe) setup in a basic air cooled config. I was unable to test them on the 12th and 13th. I pulled them out this morning to see if they might help the AM2+ setup with a Athlon 64 5000+ X2 processor. I installed 2 sticks and powered up. All I got was a blank screen, no beeps or post. Knowing that it was a memory problem because I had it running with different memory a few days before, I started trouble shooting. I inserted 1 memory stick in the first slot and power up. I did this with all 4 memory sticks and only 1 stick allowed the board to boot up into windows. The other 3 sticks just left me with a blank screen. I contacted the seller and informed him of my problem. He responded back that he had tested the memory on an Intel system before selling them. I pulled out my modded P5E and set it up to test the memory. When using the Intel board all 4 sticks worked. I'm not sure if this is an AMD problem as the ECS board was $50 NIB way back then. I'll have to investigate this problem more at another time.

Thanks

MM

MM... is there a question? :p

I guess I would make sure the AMD board has its BIOS fully updated. Are you certain you put the DIMMs in the right slot for one stick? Are they on the QVL list?

In reading your manual I came across this:
You must install at least one module in any of the four slots.
However, the diagram on P12 of the manual says to install it in slot 3 'for best performance'...Did you try any other slots with any of the other sticks???

and...

1. Due to the limitation of AMD CPU spec, please refer to Memory QVL
for more information.
Check that QVL list.....

^ When testing I only used the first slot and I didn't check to see if it was on the QVL list. These Hypers would probably have no problem in a 790X/FX board.
It was not so much a question but a problem from using a cheap AMD board with the Hypers :)

DDR2 can't be hypers. Hypers are only DDR3 which are in 2GB modules. 1.2 Corsair is probably Micron D9 in any version available ( corsair was mixing them ).
Microns were dying because of too high voltage or even because of age ... sounds weird but there were many cases that memory which you put in a box didn't work half year later. Personally I have 4 D9 kits from which one stick isn't working so 4 good modules out of 8. At least were working couple of months ago ;)

can check memory PN here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=57334

Did you at least clear the CMOS . That's always a good idea when swapping memory.

Woomack is correct. They are D9's. I have a couple sets of the same version. 2.3-2.4v with a fan on them will get you as good as they'll give.
Over rated. There are better DDR2 sets. All the good one's will be D9's of some nature though.

DDR2 can't be hypers. Hypers are only DDR3 which are in 2GB modules. 1.2 Corsair is probably Micron D9 in any version available ( corsair was mixing them ).
Microns were dying because of too high voltage or even because of age ... sounds weird but there were many cases that memory which you put in a box didn't work half year later. Personally I have 4 D9 kits from which one stick isn't working so 4 good modules out of 8. At least were working couple of months ago ;)

SORRY..
I was thinking of my Dominator GT's

I was led to believe that the Micron D9's in the DDR2's where the CATS MEOW. I finely got them and then find out that they can just up and die on you :(

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not dead if they work in the P5. Either they ust won't work on the AMD or you need to clear the BIOS. Some of the older boards are really fussy about which slots you put the memory in as well.

Two different chips inside. Definitely cause problems. Could have been as simple as low voltage. The microns need their power to start. I had that with the Giga board . Always set the mem voltage too low.

They're not dead if they work in the P5. Either they ust won't work on the AMD or you need to clear the BIOS. Some of the older boards are really fussy about which slots you put the memory in as well.
I believe it's the EXTREMELY low end 770 chipset and the low $50 cost of the board NIB.

It could be the board but it's hard to tell unless you cover the basics first.
Clear CMOS.
Install 2 sticks in right slots, if no boot the one stick
Get into BIOS and set voltage appropriate for the ram don't worry about timings
Try two sticks again.

I was led to believe that the Micron D9's in the DDR2's where the CATS MEOW. I finely got them and then find out that they can just up and die on you :(

They are......when they're not dead.

Your version 4.1's are Promos chipped. They're junk.
Your version 1.2's are D9's.

They are......when they're not dead.
+1

Your version 4.1's are Promos chipped. They're junk.
I kind of had that feeling because of the low price (<$20) and using D9 in the description of the item. +1

Your version 1.2's are D9's.
I have a set that I bought 4 months ago, that arrived DOA :( The chip under the HS says D9GMH :)
I HOPE these have the D9 chip in them. I bought the set for $80 and the custom clip on fans look cool :) +1

Wow... That's like +3 from your great message :thup:

You need to take your time and wait for deals MM. $80 for that set of ram is way too much. It took a while but I did find my good set for $15, always on the lookout for more too.

If you are looking for good DDR2 and you have no idea what can be under the heatsinks then get Crucial Ballistix. They're usually quite cheap nowadays. Generally 95% of these kits are based on D9GMH or D9GKX. GKX are the best but good GMH are not much worse. There are 3 or 4 different series like Tracer with LEDs and for some reason most my alive D9 are Tracers. Also Cellshock DDR2 were probably only on Micron D9. Cellshocks were great for benching but also were the most fragile DDR2 I had. All kits which I had and two my friends went to RMA and we had a lot of problems later as support thought we are setting way too high voltage. These kits were designed to work at 2.2-2.4V but at 2.4V many of them were degraing or dying after longer full load.

Everything that you find at higher clocks like 1066-1200 5-5-5 or 5-6-6 or 6-6-6 1.8V will be PSC or Qimonda. Can be also higher binned Promos. Microns were almost always specified at 2.0-2.4V above 1000MHz.

Other thing is that memory controller in 775 boards is degrading and can easily die if you set high voltage and bench for a long time. It happens randomly but what I want to say here is that if your memory isn't working then can be also memory controller's fault so check memory on other board.
Usually problems are with P35/P45 boards and some manufacturers were saving on power phases etc. Like Biostar TPower is great for benching and was quite cheap ... but I killed 3 of them and it wasn't even at really high voltages except one which I was benching with memory at 2.7V+.

Last edited:
You need to take your time and wait for deals MM. $80 for that set of ram is way too much. It took a while but I did find my good set for $15, always on the lookout for more too.

At the time I bought them. There was a flood of 8500C5D's with higher version than 1.3. The majority of them where 4.1 when I found the 4x1gb kit w/fan :) I didn't have a decent sent of DDR2 to bench with :(
All I had where : 6400C4DHX (which are junk) 8500C5D ver 4.1 (More Junk) and Patriot 1200's that are finicky as hell about which board and timings that they will work with/at.

This is a little off topic but still related to finding good clocking DDR2 sticks... Anyone know much or have any info as to how Elpida DDR2 ic can run/bench? (Woomack/Mr Scott?)...

I actually have couple of Micron D9 based 1GB sticks/kits but was wondering about this one... 2x1GB 2.35v Kingston 9200C5 double-sided... The label shows the kit to be Elpida... I bought it back in the day from Newegg when I was originally on the hunt for some D9 sticks.

P1040238.JPG

Back