• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe Won't boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

This is the second A7N8X I had/have and going to have to RMA this one to ASUS also. Got the second one I RMA'd to ASUS in June 03 and that one did the same thing as the first board. They both ran fine the previous day and next morning they just won't boot, can't even get in the BIOS so think maybe a bad BIOS chip. I know the PSU is good because it's only a few months old, Fortron high quality model and I know the CPU and video card are good because I swapped them out and they work fine in another computer on another MB.

Running a 2100 Athalon B core downgrade 2700 OC'd modestly at 2.0GHz so it shouldn't harm the MB. I have more than adequate cooling in the 'puter so seriously doubt there is a heat problem. ASUS Probe utility shows all temps well below max allowable temps for the CPU & MB.

Unfortunately when you get a RMA'd MB back they don't tell you what was wrong with the board you RMA'd and I thought it strange if two BIOS chips went bad on two different boards.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems because I hate having to take my computer apart and go through the hassel of RMA'ing and the computer being down.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day. OldBird

BIOS corruption is an issue with these boards - but I can't see how it would happen with the computer shut off after running fine.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS by removing the jumper and placing it on <clear> for a minute with the battery removed? If that doesn't work, try holding shift when you turn the rig on - as this sometimes jumpstarts with default settings.

Strange - if you can't get it up I would either buy a new BIOS chip from www.badflash.com or go through the hassle of RMAing it.

Yup, cleared CMOS and all that jazz but still no go. As I said before, this is EXACTLY the same thing the other one did. This one ran a good while but the first one only ran like four days before it died.

I sent an RMA request to ASUS this morning so maybe they'll get back with me. They might balk since this will be the second RMA, but frankly I could give a rip less, I'll just stick an EPOX in and let 'er rock. Like the man said, "Life's to short to dance with ugly women . . . . " (Or, as the case may be, Men.)

Thanks for the feed back, gotta' grab some lunch and get back to work. OldBird

hmmm...

is that your running a 2100 @ 2700 speeds?? you have no sig for any info of what ya got.......1 thing is for sure is make sure you aint getting same board back (mark it somewhere on board with fine tip permanent marker) i have rma'ed a geforce4 card 2 times before catching on to the !@#$ on that scam....thats what it seems like cause getting 2 bad boards with same exact issues seems like very bad luck......

Point well taken rats, we're on the same page and a what a shame we have to be parinoid in this day and age.
If they sent the same board back the first time then they changed the serical numbers but all that would require is removing one serial number sticker and sticking another on.

Not like I'm OC'ing its brains out because I have a 2100 downgrade 2700 running 2.0GHz on air. All I do in the BIOS is set the fsb at 166 and memory to Auto and I have a 2700.

To late now because I got a RAM number from AASUS yesterday PM and have it all packed up ready to send back or I'd mark it. If the new one they send craps out I'm going to give up and stay with the EPOX I put in the same case with the same components and it's working fine.

Thanx for the feed back and have a great day. OldBird

I am on my third board. I could not get the first board to post even set @ stock setting after a month in my system. I received an RMA from Asus & send the M/B back for repair. I was just cranking 10 X 200.

I then ordered another board ( my second) from ACCUPC. Installed it & it would not post at all. Who would think it was a defective board. I was so frusrated that I took my computer to my friend's computer repair store. He took evertything out & checked each major item & the M/B was dead. Charge $60.00

I then returned that one directly to ACCUPC for a RMC & ordered another board. This board posted, but will not overclock like my first board. At least it is running @ 199 X 10.0.

Just received the RMA board back from Asus. I have to check the S/N to see if it is the same board. Now I have a second board & probably will sell it.

My XP made me re-register XP with the new M/B!

ACCUPC was great & did a quick RMC back to my CC account.

Good Luck!

Pat

Back