• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How sturdy is the P4 hold down bracket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I'm used to AMD boards with the 4 screws holding the block down nice and stiff. Now that I'm building an Intel system I am worried about how sturdy the Intel bracket is, should I be?

I have noticed a couple people had a setup that looked to have the screws holding the block on. Is that reccomended over the P4 bracket for w/c blocks or should it be ok? I'm worried about vibrations and other movement of the block. Any comments, complaints?

The bracket is quite solid imo - never had any problems with it whatsoever. You know the new AMD boards have a similar plastic bracket and AMD specifies 75 pounds of clamping pressure. I broke 2 of the clips trying to mount the heatsink on my FX51, but none of the P4 blocks require that much pressure. I wouldn't worry about it.

screws are recommended over the stock bracket.... i don't even think you can use the stock bracket to water cool...

i have seen a few waterblocks that are supposed to be mounted with the stock brackets, but i dont think they would work as well as the screw mounted ones.

Back