• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking abit max 3 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bw2082

Overclocking abit max 3 help
I recently bought a Max 3 after seeing reports of what a great overclocker it is. I can't get the FSB over 207 without a crash though. The computor will boot, but it's not stable. I'll get funny screen distortions and stuff. I was wondering if it's the ram that is the problem. I have 512 mb kingston hyperx pc3200. The timings are 2-2-2-6.

Can anyone give me some settings I can try?

My specs:
Abit Max 3
p4 3.0c stock heatsink/fan
512 mb Kingston Hyper X PC3200 Ram (2-2-2-6) voltage is 2.7
120GB maxtor ultra ata hard drive
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Lite On 52x CD
vcore 1.5250
agp: 1.55
gat set to auto
Windows XP Professional SP1
430watt power supply

I would try upping the memory voltage to 2.8 volts, and changing your memory timings to 2.0-3-3-7. The 875 chipset based mobo's do not really like to run 2's for the middle two settings (especially with certain memory chips). You might also try disabling the bottom GAT setting (I think it is CPC something).

At some point, you will probably have to change your memory to 5:4 instead of 1:1, but I wouldn't think 207 MHz would be that point.

make sure your ram speeds are set manually and try disabaling the last 2 options in gat setup

also as edward2 stated uping the vdimm to 2.8 could help you out alot too you should be able to get a higher oc with that setup though

Try the above + these settings under SoftMenu Setup:

N/B strap: 800
AGP/PCI: Fixed
AGP/PCI Frequency: 66/33

Also, Bios 13 is out which supposedly fixes the PSB strap settings, try that as well as the above things everyone else has mentioned, especialled the Game Accelerator settings. They should be Auto, Auto, Auto, Disabled, Disabled. This worked for me on my 2.6, 2.8, and my currently 3.2. I was able to boot all the way up to 277 and run stable up to 260. My chips were the limiting factor.

Back