• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help X58

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K6Chris

New guy here, also new to overclocking and any help would be much appreciated. Yesterday afternoon I bumped my clocks to 4.2 and late last night it became unstable crashing in games but throwing different error codes each time. Kernal Security Check Failure, Page Fault in Nonpaged area, WHEA Uncorrectable error, to name a few. I reinstalled drivers and updated anything that could be in windows with no luck, figured my oc wasn't any good and reset to factory clocks. Today after trying running unigine heaven and trying to play at 3.07ghz I decided to overclock it back to 3.9 where I had it previously to the 4.2. Bios, aida64, cpu-z recognized it, but msi afterburner, unigine heaven, cinebench all show I'm running at 3.07 with very bad performances(comparatively) in each. I'd rather believe the bios and cpu-z than the others but the performance agrees with them. Thinking again that I had something wrong(I'm positive I did) with my oc, I searched for examples of other oc's on this platform and gave a couple a shot to see if it'd help. Negative, same boat. As of now theres another, with more depth, 4.2ghz oc in the bios and this thing is a turd. As I said, yesterday everything recognized 4.2 and it was running well until it wasnt, today its junk. I'd love to get this fixed and gain some knowledge in the process, and again any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
CPU- X5675
Cooler- Scythe Mugen 5
MB- Asus Sabertooth x58
RAM- Samsung 1600mhz 3x4
PSU- Seasonic Focus Plus 80+ gold 850w
GPU- MSI Duke OC GTX1080 Ti
CASE- FSP CMT510 with front glass removed so it can breathe
STORAGE- 240gb Adata ssd(boot), 1tb Samsung 860 ssd
OS- Win 10 home 64 bit
Sorry had to take my "screenshots" with my phone

4.2ghz on 3/3 unigine heaven benchmark showing
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System
Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz (4199MHz) x6
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 26.21.14.4250 (4095MB) x1
Settings
Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra
Tessellation:
Disabled
Powered by UNIGINE Engine
Unigine Corp. © 2005-2013
View attachment 209044

4.2ghz on 3/4 with cpuz saying 4199mhz and task manager showing 3.07 ghz
View attachment 209045

With Msi afterburner showing 3074mhz and cpuz showing 4199mhz and unigine benchmark score showing
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System
Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz (3073MHz) x6
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 26.21.14.4250 (4095MB) x1
Settings
Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1071 windowed
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra
Tessellation:
Disabled
Powered by UNIGINE Engine
Unigine Corp. © 2005-2013
View attachment 209046

AGAIN any help appreciated and any info needed just ask. Thanks:bang head

Sorry the images don't work

Last edited:
Hey there! Welcome! Have a look at this guide and see if any parameters stick out... :)
https://www.overclockers.com/updated-intel-overclocking-guides/

Please post pics of cpuz - the first tab, memory, mainboard, and spd tabs...

Maybe try it with 3 sticks of ram instead of 4... it is a triple channel platform. Are all 3, then the 4th stick in, the right slots? Pics and confirm with your manual which they should be in. :)

but msi afterburner, unigine heaven, cinebench all show I'm running at 3.07 with very bad
Normal. Those never report the right clocks. Stick with cpuz and the bios for that info. ;)

Wed like to see the bios settings for the overclock if possible...performance information isn't terribly helpful here.

Last edited:
I'll check the guide out, thank you! It is indeed Three 4gb sticks in triple channel, populating the outer most slots from the cpu of each channel(gray dimm slots). I'm still not certain what was going on but late last night this thing fixed itself, sort of. Generally if I'm entering bios I'll actually shutdown the pc and hit the power button to power back on and proceed to enter bios. Sometime last night I just hit restart and entered bios when given the chance. I was checking parameters(the best i could) and looking for anything that might be forcing me to stock clocks. Save and exit without changing anything and it booted up normal from there and everything seems right as rain, haven't opened a game yet though. Anyways, all that to say that everytime, as soon as I would hit save and exit bios the pc would then shutdown/crash or whatever it was doing and then power back up and open windows. Every program that was reporting a stock clock is now showing actual clock the same as cpuz and bios, and the performance is back. Looking back to stock clock scores from cinebench and heaven, it was performing far worse yesterday than even stock clock performance with the same bios thats loaded now thats performing well now. I apologize that I'm wordy. I'll try again with pictures.

Bios
Screenshot (27).png
Screenshot (28).png
Screenshot (29).png
Screenshot (31).png

Cpuz
Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (17).png
SPD with aida showing temps and clocks, never touched nb
Screenshot (18).png

Well, the first thing I see is your ram.

1. It's slightly overclocked. Not a big deal.. but you are running over the spec of the sticks.
2. Not only is the ram overclocked, the timings are tighter than stock. The sticks are 11-11-11-xx and your cpuz screen shot (memory tab) shows them running at 8-11-11-xx... change that back to 11.

I'm not sure I understood where exactly your ram is plugged in.. pic plz! That said, did you confirm in the manual they are in the proper slots?

80c is hot for 1.33v, and your errors say you need more vcore.
Bad situation. Better cooling or less overclock.

CL was auto set to 8, changed to 11. Ram in correct slots.

20200305_182000.jpg
20200305_175707.jpg
Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (38).png

@Mr.Scott I had different settings in the bios at the time of the errors, the bios is now running numbers I pulled from someone else trying to fix whatever was going on. Im sure that wasnt the best way to go about it. It hasnt crashed with the current config, although it isn't as fast. I found 1 picture of the bios that I was running which didnt include voltages but I'm pretty sure I was running vcore at 1.3 at the time of the crashing in games. Apparently I was cranking on the memory, could memory instability have caused the crashing and those errors? Haven't tried yet but I think I can lower the voltage and bring the heat down, if it was a memory problem.

20200304_043752.jpg

I built this thing a little over a year ago, hadn't messed with overclocking because I know nothing of it. The 1080 ti is the reason for trying to push on it now, 20-30% gpu utilization is a waste of the card. I'll be swapping the card to a 9900k build soon but I'm planning to learn on this system in the mean time. What I'm most concerned with is the performance after the down clock and trying to re-overclock, cinebench R15 899 today vs 572 yesterday with the same bios, heaven bench lost 86 average frames and almost 2200 points off the score. Yes cpuz, bios and aida showing 4.2ghz, but performance says something was up. I was worse performing than actually running a factory set bios and its the same numbers as right this moment with it running decent.

Heaven with factory bios
Screenshotng (34).png
With 4.2 and stupid memory
Screenshot4.2 (35).png
With Current config but not actually running it
Screenshot3.07 (33).png
As it sits now
Screenshot4.195 (36).png

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I apologize for the monster pics, let me know if I need to change my method. Also for not being clear enough about the original bios settings, hope that helps. Appreciate your help!

You will not be able to overclock the CPU high enough to avoid wasting much of the GPUs potential.

I agree Trents, and thats the reason for the new build. I had the new build in mind when I bought the card too I guess. I want it to perform the best it can in the mean time. I had the same card you have in it prior to this one, and it'll go back in after the 9900k build.

Back