• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP - Pro or Home???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not really. Its basically the same thing with a differen color boot screen loader bar. No big difference really. The avg. user or even the typical oc forums member can not tell the difference. If it means saving $50 go with home. Good luck!

For even more savings check out 9 Software and East Outlet Software . They sell software really cheap.

Matt

Your very welcome. Glad I could help you out. Also, once you buy one windows xp cd you can start buying just licenses if you have other computers you need to install it on. That will also save you a whole lof of money. Enjoy your stay here at the forums! Hope all goes well with your system.

Matt

I'd agree that for standalone users, Home is enough.

But I feel it is better to ask someone what kind of a user he is before saying which one is better. Just to make sure.

For example, for people with a network of many computers, the Pro has many useful additions. For some people, some of Pro's features are essential. for example, in networks which uses domains you just have to go with Pro.

Most of Pro edition's additions to the Home edition are network related, but there are also a few other additions, such as support for dual processors.

for Microsoft's comparison table between Pro and Home, go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

shiyan said:
Most of Pro edition's additions to the Home edition are network related, but there are also a few other additions, such as support for dual processors.

for Microsoft's comparison table between Pro and Home, go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
Exactly.

Right now I wish I had bought Pro instead of Home, because even though I never thought I'd use it's features when I bought it, now I realize that some of them would be very handy, and even worth the money. I've got a network going which is quite a bit of the reason, but I still wish I shelled out the extra.

...mabey I should buy it now that I can get a student discount :)
JigPu

shiyan said:
I'd agree that for standalone users, Home is enough.

But I feel it is better to ask someone what kind of a user he is before saying which one is better. Just to make sure.

For example, for people with a network of many computers, the Pro has many useful additions. For some people, some of Pro's features are essential. for example, in networks which uses domains you just have to go with Pro.

Well, I'm planning on setting up a power box, and server (just to play around on), and then my gf has this iMac :| I'd think they'd all endup online.

plus, never know what ill end up with later :D

So Pro has network support and Home doesn't or.. .?

Well... the network system for XP is a lot better than Home... For 1, it has a "remote desktop" feature that Home doesnt have....

With Remote Desktop on Windows XP Professional, you can have access to a Windows session that is running on your computer when you are at another computer. This means, for example, that you can connect to your work computer from home and have access to all of your applications, files, and network resources as though you were in front of your computer at work. You can leave programs running at work and when you get home, you can see your desktop at work displayed on your home computer, with the same programs running.

I went back to school to get MS and Cisco certified and my school is part of this program. I've got legal copies of everything from 98 to server2k3 and everything in between. I downloaded Datacenter just to say I had it. The catch is that when you leave school, you are supposed to remove the software and destroy your copy. As a close friend of several software developers, I certainly will, but in the mean time I am having fun!

Back