• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hypothetical Printer Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
The printer is a Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4000N from about 1997.

Can it be setup to print from individual Windows OS's computers including one of each on the same network consisting of XP Pro, Vista64 and Windows 10?

Seems plausible, I imagine windows 10 being the hardest to deal with. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Print...-work-with-a-windows-10-computer/td-p/5941826

But looks like there was some success from advice in that thread.

Are you going to have it on the network or sharing from a machine? The former I believe would be easier.

That said, I hope your xp and vista machines can't see any outside network connections

How will the printer connect? Parallel port? USB? Ethernet? Does it have a NIC installed? A lot of laser printers from that era had an add on slot for a NIC but whether or not the NIC was installed from the factory was optional. If not, you could add one in. If it isn't ethernet capable you can get an adapter to turn the printer's parallel interface into an ethernet connection. The adapter basically is a mini print server.

Already done, don't ask me how but my son did it all via Teamviewer. The HP printer 4000N, with the "N" designation, is for "Network" so it was network capable by default from HP. This all is way above my pay grade! I did ask what was the toughest part and he said printer driver for W10 (assuming finding something that would work). All three computers are on a home network.

I don't have a clue ..........................:)

Assuming you can't find a driver for Windows 10 you can always copy the file from the Windows 10 computer to one of the other computers and print from it.

I have the opposite problem. I have a mixture of computers with Windows XP, 7, 10, and 11. The printer has a driver for all but Windows XP. To print a file on the Windows XP computer I have to copy it to one of the other computers.

Back