• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a radiator alone to cool the inside of a PC....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LatinAssassin81

Registered
is it possible to use only a radiator and say, a 120mm fan to cool the inside of a PC? Im not too comfortable with water flowing on the inside of my computer and was thinking about this as an alternative.

Thanks....

We do use radiators, we have the water carry the heat from the componants to the radiator. I dont know how you would get the heat to the radiator without some kind of liquid. Basicly, a heatsink is a small liquidless radiator, but you already have one of those.

Last edited:
So you would get an air pump to pump air in a closed loop to conduct heat away from the processor? Why not just get a fan and heatsink?

Radiators specifically designed for liquid cooling only.
If you arnt cooling with a liquid you are cooling with air.
If you are cooling with air you will be using some sort of heatsink to maximize the surface area so that the air will have better opprotunity to take the heat away.

Deathmasher said:
I would say just stay far away from the water cooling. Take a step away from the water block sir.

Actually, it can't hurt to be cautious. Most problems that people experience with watercooling come from overconfidence or negligence inspired by it.

Deathmasher said:
I would say just stay far away from the water cooling. Take a step away from the water block sir.

I know my cooling and overclocking. I'm no rookie to computing. But i am and will probably remain a rook to Water Cooling. And why should i take a step away form anything, huh? Isn't that the way we learn? Taking steps...anyways, i'm not interested in water cooling...im interested in an alternative. That's why i asked the questions i did. Thanks to all with helpful responses.

this IS how new techniques are born, so keep them wheels turnin LatinAssassin81. Onlypro is correct, a rad needs liquid to perform. This dosen't mean that the liquid needs to be inside your comp, you could have a loop located outside the box. There is still the fact that to blow cool air into the box the liquid would need to be cooler than ambient temps. Actively cooling the liquid would be a must.

A couple of ideas which would help your temps if you want to stick to air cooling:

If necessary cut an extra blow hole or two in your case and fit 80 or 120mm fans as needed.

Get hold of a PAL Alpha type heatsink if you have some spare cash. They're not terribly cheap but perform really well and use an 80mm fan (you could experiment by taping on smaller fan onto the side)

Use some ducting to duct a 120mm case fan to the above, or 80mm case fan for smaller heatsinks.

Might be worth posting in General Cooling for ideas and alternatives to watercooling :)

I think you somehow thought that a rad does some sort of 'cooling' on it's own. Placing an empty rad in front of a fan is no different than putting a highly restrictive grill guard or air filter behind a fan. The only thing it will do is restrict airflow. Radiators are designed to cool down hot liquid, the air going through one gets hotter on the far side. An empty rad does nothing to improve your air temperatures.

Back