• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas for keeping dust from entering case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You might try keeping the room clean. Vacuum every other day, it only takes a few minutes. And don't keep the computer near the floor, the higher up the better.

Maybe you could run the fans through a K&N dual element filter -- that always worked well for my XR-650.

I'm going to chime in here. I agree with ED that you should follow a flow pattern. I like going from the bottom up and the front to back. It's not just shoving air into the case but the flow of air that removes the heat.

In terms of keeping dust out of your computer: 1) filters will do that but you must maintain them. Clean them regularly. I too, like ED, clean mine about twice a year. It's a good plan. Or 2) work on removing dust from your environment. I use MERV 13 filters on my furnace which does a decent job. The more dust my furnace filter collects, the less my computer collects.

I too was going to suggest nylons. I've never used them myself but this is a long standing practice and works a treat to my knowledge.

In terms of the nylons restricting airflow, it will, however, you seem to have more than enough going on. What you gain in filtering will NOT be offset by restricted air flow as long as you clean your filters as needed.

@Niku-Sama filter screens. I like them a lot. Looking to see if I could use them myself. Thank you.

I just run bareback, no filters. I have a Metro Datavac, so that kicks axe..

I found that using filters, you have to clean them or they get clogged, and you still have to dust the PC.

Bah..
Man, that seems like a lot of regular maintenance, and having to power down the system frequently to clean it.
I suppose I'm a bit lazy in that regard, and need my rig running 24/7/365 where cleaning filters & air dusting is only done every 6 months to a year when I do shut it down, do hardware upgrades / repairs, etc.
Also, if you're someone who builds a new rig often or when the latest & greatest is released, dust isn't much of any major concern.

Your PC is on for that long? Wow! What do you do with it that you don't shut it down or reboot for..... I guess several months?

Your PC is on for that long? Wow! What do you do with it that you don't shut it down or reboot for..... I guess several months?
Lots of things, but I like to keep games loaded so when I do step away or wake up in the morning, I don't have to cold boot and reload everything, so it's about not wasting time or being delayed, having immediate access.
I'm sure there are lots of computers that never do get shut down and run 24/7/365.
It's the sign of a truly "TUF" system. :ROFLMAO:

but I like to keep games loaded so when I do step away or wake up in the morning, I don't have to cold boot and reload everything, so it's about not wasting time or being delayed, having immediate access.
So, not only is your PC on all the time... you keep a game loaded???? So it's sucking down hundreds of W just sitting there?????

How long does a cold boot take these days? Like seriously? For me with a M.2 drive, from power button to useable Windows is like 20-30 seconds. Crazy!

I'm sure there are lots of computers that never do get shut down and run 24/7/365.

It's the sign of a truly "TUF" system. :ROFLMAO:
Or a sign of wasting electricity... :p

That said, I leave my PC on for the day... I'm generally at it or going back to it. But at night when I'm done working it gets shut off. Same thing after a gaming session... just goes off.

Last edited:
Personally my system is always on, but when I'm off it for an hour of more it goes into hibernation. Does this save much power over turning the entire system off though?

So, not only is your PC on all the time... you keep a game loaded???? So it's sucking down hundreds of W just sitting there?????

How long does a cold boot take these days? Like seriously? For me with a M.2 drive, from power button to useable Windows is like 20-30 seconds. Crazy!

Or a sign of wasting electricity... :p
Apparently, I'm not the only one, and it's not about the time it takes to boot, but rather the time to load games, which can take a hour for these very intense games.
My system uses no more than a house decorated with Christmas lights. :rolleyes:
Are we comparing carbon footprints?
EDIT: Consider it a testing ground for AIO CPU coolers.
My original rig (ASUS TUF x79) was built using the first AIO Intel back in 2012 (which I'm still using right now), but the bearing eventually seized after 6 years. I replaced it with a Corsair H10, which died after a year of this stress, then began using the ENERMAX, which has held up great and only had to replace it recently because the bearing was starting to squeak and temps would only cool to 48c and escalate to 80c under a heavy load from games.

Last edited:
Does this save much power over turning the entire system off though?
Not much at all. Hibernation does use more power (I think we're talking like 1-2W) than off. ;)

Still, that's WAY better than sitting idle (typically 60-80W+ depending on mobo/etc.), or even sleep mode (also just a few/several watts).

Folding@Home. :facepalm:
Ha! Of course, if it's actually doing something, that's quite different.

and it's not about the time it takes to boot, but rather the time to load games, which can take a hour for these very intense games.
I was just going through the entire process. I know some games can take a minute to load, but an hour? WTF BBQ? I can get flying in MS FS in less than a couple of mins...

What 'intense game' takes an hour to load????

My system uses no more than a house decorated with Christmas lights. :rolleyes:
EL OH EL... that's for like a month.

Personally my system is always on, but when I'm off it for an hour of more it goes into hibernation. Does this save much power over turning the entire system off though?
I suppose hibernation does reduce power consumption, and I find my system will go into hibernation with some games loaded, but not others, and will remain on. The monitor will still always hibernate after 15 minutes of inactivity.

I am 100% in on keeping games running to save the loading time. On the weekends, when I'm ready to play, I'm ready now. Not in three days after a background check.... No wait. That's something different. I do however, keep my current game running pretty much all weekend long. My F@H stats will show it.

What 'intense game' takes an hour to load????
This of course depends on if you're playing with a single account as opposed to having more than one account with a game server, where the game server requires you to wait before loading a separate account, or it will log you off the other account.

Last edited:
I mean, color me surprised. This is the first (and second) time I've heard of people consistently running their games and walking away from your PC. Perhaps it's a game genre thing. I couldn't imagine just leaving PUBG/BF/COD/AOE/PGA 2K23/Fortnite etc. just 'running'. I don't mind the minute it takes to load up and get into a game.

Outside of wasting loads of energy (I'll show you my carbon footprint if you show me yours...lol) and raising electric bills (difference between idle and game load on my PC is almost 300W), it heats up my office (12x12) and top floor (bad in summer!!) so it's just not feasible without running the window AC, which I typically only run to keep the testing environment the same. I dunno........ just weird.

This of course depends on if you're playing with a single account as opposed to having more than one account with a game server, where the game server requires you to wait before loading a separate account.
What is this, a bread crumb? LOL! What GAME takes an hour to load or switch between accounts?

I play turn based games that love to load a ton of data before they'll run. Yes, my little office (also about 12x12') gets hot in the summer. We keep the door closed at night and I can open a window to let the heat out. In the winter, we also keep the door closed at night but it's the most comfortable room (except for the fan noise) in the house with the vent closed.

Because I play turn based games, I can, and often do, get up and walk away from the game as I remember chores to do and what not. So leaving the game even mid-turn is no big deal and I suffer no penalty like you might in the games you listed. I don't know.

Gotcha, yeah, I just picture it idle in the game's menu screen. I can see long-running turn-based and not wanting to leave mid-game. But after it's all said and done, I shut my PC off... typically every night. No game, even MS FS makes me want to leave it running/in the menu screen so I can quickly start a game.

.........and by off, I mean, w/e the heck W11 actually does by default (hibernate?). :rofl:

I mean, color me surprised. This is the first (and second) time I've heard of people consistently running their games and walking away from your PC. Perhaps it's a game genre thing. I couldn't imagine just leaving PUBG/BF/COD/AOE/PGA 2K23/Fortnite etc. just 'running'. I don't mind the minute it takes to load up and get into a game.

Outside of wasting loads of energy (I'll show you my carbon footprint if you show me yours...lol) and raising electric bills (difference between idle and game load on my PC is almost 300W), it heats up my office (12x12) and top floor (bad in summer!!) so it's just not feasible without running the window AC, which I typically only run to keep the testing environment the same. I dunno........ just weird.

What is this, a bread crumb? LOL! What GAME takes an hour to load or switch between accounts?
It's not just games.
Some of us work remotely from home and manage databases / networks as admins, where you have to remain signed in and ready to deal with problems on a moments notice.
When your computer is shut down, meaning you're unavailable and offline, they know it.

Back