• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using Win2003?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I'm thinking of using Win2K3 (Enterprise) for my home PC. A bit overkill but I have this free copy. There are a few issues such as needing to turn on video acceleration and such but I know how to do that. I think I run into other problems though, like another thread here where Norton AV won't work because you need an expensive server edition.

Does anyone have experience using this OS?

I use 2k3 enterprise. dont know of a norton issue cause I use corp edition. its a great OS. there was a link to a site a while back that showed how to sorta turn it into a desktop OS

Just remember it expires in 6 months so back up before then. :) 2003 might give you a few hardware and software problems. Otherwise you should be fine.

At work we had a problem with eZ cd creator 5. Right now we are using RecordNow DX. I know Norton wont work. You need Symantec Corporate. Poser 4 doesn't work either. Photoshop 7 works fine.

pik4chu said:
I use 2k3 enterprise. dont know of a norton issue cause I use corp edition. its a great OS. there was a link to a site a while back that showed how to sorta turn it into a desktop OS

That's the catch. I don't have the corporate edition and I have a feeling it won't be cheap. Hmm.

The site was http://www.msfn.org/win2k3. I took the stuff and boiled down into an easy-to-handle Word document.
They didn't deal with services that need to be turned off but I'll start hunting around another time.

Ebola, it won't expire in 6 months. Microsoft gave everyone attending the launch event a free copy, Not-For-Resale 25 user license. Matched them to our names so if they show up on ebay, heads will roll.

They are also sending me a free Office 2003 since I attended that launch event. Also no timeout but also NFR.

Could be a problem if stuff won't run though. I could go back to 2000 without a problem or XP-Pro. I don't really have a legit copy of XP-Pro though.

Probally shouldn't say that.

2003 is pretty good. Its like 2000 ADV Server with some XP. There is really not much new.

I have XP at work cause we're on MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) and I'm pretty sure we're allowed 10 installs. And I do some work at home so I really could install it there. I'm actually the only one at work even using it. Everyone else is still using 2000.

Still, I think I'll give 2003 a whirl. I'm just putting together a new system (Barton 2500+/A7N8X-DX) and haven't bought SATA drives yet. It's barely up and running on a Hitachi DeathStar 80 gig drive that just arrived for an RMAd one. Once I'm happy with it I'll add some SATA on Raid-0 and maybe keep this drive as the boot. Or, I'll pull it out and rebuild it all on the Raid. No rush.

dgk said:

Ebola, it won't expire in 6 months. Microsoft gave everyone attending the launch event a free copy, Not-For-Resale 25 user license. Matched them to our names so if they show up on ebay, heads will roll.

They are also sending me a free Office 2003 since I attended that launch event. Also no timeout but also NFR.

Thats cool. We get most of our stuff through MSDN as well. I'm running 2003 standard on my laptop and I really didn't need to do anything that wasn't in that guide at msfn.org. Enterprise might be different. I have small business server 2003 on another machine and its running over 40 services and using 400 megs of ram at startup.

enterprise isnt different from standard other than the hardware supported and the same differences between 2k server and adv server. Ill be reinstalling it and installing SBS though cause I want to play with exchange. I love MSDN :)

I'm thinking of using Win2K3 (Enterprise) for my home PC. A bit overkill but I have this free copy. There are a few issues such as needing to turn on video acceleration and such but I know how to do that. I think I run into other problems though, like another thread here where Norton AV won't work because you need an expensive server edition. Does anyone have experience using this OS?

I found this article Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide maby it will be helpfull for you. I used it & have been very happy with Win2K3. Good luck.

Use the guide, makes for an excellent stable and fast desktop OS. i abso freakin lutely love it. :D.

good luck,

J.

Back