• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why does XP take its good ole time bootng?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok, i had to get a new mobo cuz my tyan was shot. i did a clean install of XP on a small 15gig drive, which would boot up in about 50seconds. After moving all my components to a different motherboard (GA-7DPXDW) it takes almost 3 minutes to boot. The "WINDOWS XP" logo takes about 10 seconds to fade in. once it gets past the blue welcome screen all is well. it has the same chipset as my tyan did, all the same hardware. can anyone hlep me out here?

I would try running the repair install from your XP CD and see if that clears it up... That, or a clean install from the new mobo.

JigPu

yea ive tried all that with no luck, but i did solve it. My mobo has 4 IDE channels and supports RAID. well any normal person would think IDE 1 and IDE 2 would be the way to go right? NOT in my case. Apparently IDE 3 is primary and IDE 4 is secondary. it now RIPs through startup due to bootvis, and a few reg mods. so if anyone is having similar probs, try this. Symptoms that made me figure this out wer, A- The bios could not auto detect the hard drives and CDroms under primary B- Windows recognized my IDE drives as SCSI and could not give me the DMA/PIO mode, said "not applicable". So XP, had to search and configure each drive upon everystartup. Hope this info helps someone

Back