• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the Heck is this pop thing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subaru

Disabled
I'm very annoying of this thing. So far this is what I've used and was recommended by people.

For Pop-up blocker= googlebar
Adaware
and spybot.

I've gotten everything to work fine for 3 days ago, until my brother uses my computer when I'm at work and now there's pop up everywhere.

And googlebar can't even stop it.
Everytime when I open IE or go to another site, the pop up come up. But I don't see the pop up just the window have open on my taskbar. But when I click on it, it goes to teh bottom right of my monitor and there's nothing there. Bottom-right is wayy below the clock on my desktop.

I just want to stop these stupid pop-up, and need help. Help a brother out. Thanks in advance.

spywareblaster is a nifty lil prog. it stops java and activeX apps from ever getting on your comp.. i get very ery few popups since installing it

i second the spywareblaster program. i also have adaware and google toolbar too and i hav eyet to see one popup. then again i dont browse sites that like to install crap on your computer and im the only user though which helps a lot

i always backup my computer. After my family uses my computer, i RESTORE everything back to the one i want. I don't have to deal any potential problem :)

lol, that makes me wonder if setting a restore point in XP would be effective against people screwing up the system (as above)...

I'll second uninstalling and reinstalling the Google Toolbar. My bet's it's screwed up so it's not working anymore...

JigPu

I uninstall and reinstall. The thing is, when I open my ie into msn.com. pop start coming up and I know msn hardly got pop-ups

I use Adaware. I got this program from one of the mod's suggestions back a year ago. I have hardly EVER a problem after I use it. Also you can get the pro version and it will scan for popups during normal use as well, but the free version only does it like a basic virus scanner.

I got with Soybot myself. I hate it when unknown software used to install itself on my computer without knowing. I used Spybot and it all no more.

Anyone of the programs mentioned though is good for removing those unwanted programs.

Oni said:
best popup blocker I've used is the Firebird browser. I haven't seen an unwanted popup since I started using it :)

i use opera and only tell it to accept wanted pop-ups and i havent seen a popup since. alternate browsers are the way to go :cool:

In addition, check to make sure the "Messenger" service is disabled (if running XP or W2K)...Start | Run |Type services.msc and click OK | Scroll down to "Messenger", right-click and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Under "Startup type", choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party applications should be affected by this.

The Messenger service is used to instant message others on the same LAN (using the "net send" command). It uses ports 135 and 139, and spammers have found a way to use this service to feed you pop-ups. A good firewall (or disabling the service altogether) will stop them, as ports 135 and 139 should NEVER be wide open to the internet. ;)

JigPu said:
lol, that makes me wonder if setting a restore point in XP would be effective against people screwing up the system (as above)...

it is ABSOLUTELY effective with Drive Image 7.

i never use system restore which is bundled with winxp. It is ash*.tty product.

I always use Drive Image 7 to backup and restore

redduc900 said:
In addition, check to make sure the "Messenger" service is disabled (if running XP or W2K)...Start | Run |Type services.msc and click OK | Scroll down to "Messenger", right-click and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Under "Startup type", choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party applications should be affected by this.

The Messenger service is used to instant message others on the same LAN (using the "net send" command). It uses ports 135 and 139, and spammers have found a way to use this service to feed you pop-ups. A good firewall (or disabling the service altogether) will stop them, as ports 135 and 139 should NEVER be wide open to the internet. ;)

BINGO. I'd put ma last 10 bucks on Redduc got the solution there. I was going to make the same suggestion. People have found a way to exploit windows messenger (do not confuse this with msn messenger, disabling it will not affect your messaging programs in any way) and have it pop up in your face anytime u are connected to the net. Most of the popups i've seen say something like what you've said.. "to stop popups...."

here, check this link. http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

good luck,

J.

Back