• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very Simple Question on DX9 on difference between dxwebsetup and dx90update_redist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Question on DX9 on difference between the 2 files dxwebsetup and dx90update_redist

Hello all what i am looking for is to download the entire dx9.0b so that i can go to anyones computer and no matter what install it if they dont have an internet connection. When i was on the microsoft website i found 2 different files the first one is dxwebsetup. This is just a small file that basically gathers your computers info sends it to microsoft and then it downloads what it needs to in order to update your computer. This is not what i am looking for so i saw another file called dx90update_redist i think this is what i am looking for. This is what microsoft says that this file is for
"This download provides the DirectX 9.0b end-user multi-languaged redistributable that developers can include with their product. The redistributable license agreement covers the terms under which developers may use the Redistributable. For full details please review the DirectX SDK EULA.txt and DirectX Redist.txt files located in the license directory."
All i want to know is does this mean that this is the ENTIRE DX 9.0B so that i can go to any computer and no matter what DX they have i can upgrade it to DX 9.0B? If not where can i get it? Thank you very much.
Eddie

P.S. sorry for the long post but the more info the better

Yes. That is the DirectX Redistributable. That's all of DirectX.

It's primairily for Network Admins who want to distribute it to all systems on the network, or people w/ slow connections which make the web setup not a valid option.

i got that, and the sp4 complete file, and i burned them to a cd. very handy. when i get my machine with a cd burner running, im gonna make a slipstream disk for win2k.

gusgizmo said:
i got that, and the sp4 complete file, and i burned them to a cd. very handy. when i get my machine with a cd burner running, im gonna make a slipstream disk for win2k.

I made a slipstream sp4 disk of windows 2k pro disk awhile back...for some reason it got corrupted in the process though so I'm not sure what was up with it. It might have had something to do with the cdrom drives not reading it correctly.

I would get the restributable, back it up on a CD. That way you always have it and can install it on people's machines that only have dialup without having to wait 2000 years. I usually make a CD with that, sp4, xp sp1a, office 2k sp3 and some other good big patches on it to carry around.

Back