• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aluminum take out containers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

you guys are going to think im on crack... but, working in a kitchen that does take out.... you get ideas... i havent done anything with this yet, but im curious. how do you think the aluminum used in take out containers would work as heat conductors for small chips? ie, ram chip coolers made out of take out XD?
the actual flat surface area on ours at BP is quite small, from a 1 litre take out container, i might get 10cm squared of working material. but when i take that stuff out of the oven, it cools off really fast.
so how would it work do you think? would it work at all?

Personally I think the stuff'd be too thin but you got me thinking it might make for some good shroud material....

well. what would be more efficiant at heat transfer? more fins that are thinner, or less that are thicker? if you could stuff twice as many fins on a sk6 by halving their thickness, would you not also double the available surface area to cool with and thus increase performence? from what i read, the idea is to disipate the heat as quickly as possible from the fins, if the fins are thicker, this looks like it would act with somthing of a capacitance. I might be wrong about this though.
might be somthing to try, if somone has some tools. If i had a drill press or mill of any kind, i would be in heaven. I so want to make my own heatsinks.

Thin fins yes, but what about the base? And how are the fins going to be fixed to this base? I just think that those take out trays would be a bit too crumply to work with.

well i was thinking of this. you can get little aluminum or copper slugs to use as a base. or even cut some of your own our of a peice of bar stock. the fins, being thin, can be cut with scisors and soldered to the case material without much trouble. the only thing that would be hard to do is soldering many fins at once, if you use hot air to solder with, which is quite easily done, you can use like, wood, or some harder plastics as a jig material to hold everything in place untill the solder hardens. I was thinking of using that radio shack solder weld for this project. for the longest time, i could have sworn i knew of a "solder cement" material that acts like glue, but melts and solders when heated. this is how electronic decices using PCB boards are done if i remember correctly.
failing that, we could just make a seriously thin fin flower. and clamp it at its base to hold it together. then, lap the base down with sandpaper to get a contact surface, maybe place some thermal paste between the sheets of metal. just thoughts, but low cost ones. as ram sinks are $14 for 4 here in calgary. and it would be fun to do it yourself.

*edit* if i was going to make a flower hs, i might just get some really thin razor blade, and make a punch to punch out fins quickly. kinda make it like a stapler.

Back