• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit VP6 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stormbringer

Registered
Anyone have any experience with these boards? Trying to build a machine, have 2 of these mobos, and a couple of pairs of P3 cpus. 2x1000Mhz, 2x933, 2x866, 2x800. I can't get any of them to work. When I try to boot, the mobo just looks at me. No beeps, no nothing. The fans power up, and that's about it. Tried with all sets of cpus, tried with multiple memory sticks, multiple vid cards. Is there some issue with VP6s that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Bad capacitors. I had sent a VP6 of mine in. Check and see if you have bloated caps or leaking caps. If not, RMA online to Abit. I have sent in soo many Pentium 3 level motherboards for repairs.

Check when you purchased it... or your warranty may be void and may cost you 25 dollars plus shipping to get it repaired.

I've tried different power supplies. After investigating the net a bit, I found the leaky cap problem, and the ones on these 2 vp6s seem to be fine. Not that I can tell by looking, but no swelling, etc. Also unlikely that they were fixed before, as these are at my work, and I'm fairly certain that they were bought new a few years ago, or whenever the vp6s were current.

I may be able to find the old invoices, if so, will Abit fix them? Kind of crappy of them to not fix mobos when they know there's a problem with them, regardless of whether or not we still have the old invoices.

Anything else that might possibly be causing problems? Thanks for your time.

I *think* I tried it with single, but not sure. Will try that again in a bit. I have tried changing CMOS battery, went and bought another one, thought that might be it. No dice.

Will update on what happens with single CPU. I thought the total lack of absolutely anything at all happening, other than the fans powering on, to be highly weird. I figured if the board was toasted, it wouldn't do squat, not even fans powering.

I'm stumped.

I have one of these and if the CMOS clear jumper is reseated in the wrong position, you will get a brief power-on(fans spin up and die )and then total death. Drove me nuts once. So thats something to check.

No it meant death for that power cycle. It did work just fine after I had reset the CMOS jumper properly.

Sorry, sometimes I just reply quickly and am not so clear.

So the board works now????

I have not been here in the forums for about a week.

So does the board work?

If it does, I am happy for you. Such a good board... don't loose that board. Last of their kind. Penitium 3 speaking that is.

Back