• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a mITX 1151(300) motherboard. Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Built a very small form factor PC out of some parts I bought largely here 4 years ago. Refuses to turn on now - bought a new PSU (Seasonic), swapped it in, no joy. So I bought a PSU tester adapter (I just needed one anyways) and a motherboard power switch extension and the PSU turns on with the tester, the motherboard doesn't respond. It's an EVGA H370 Stinger.

I need a replacement to fit, budget is low, like around $100-150. I'm just not willing to spend much on this, it's just a work desktop PC, so it's literally used just for surfing and work stuff (web based), maybe playing music at the same time. lol.

i3 8100
Tiny little Zotac 750Ti card
Corsair 2x8GB RAM
Fractal Designs Core 500 mini ITX case

I've always had a problem with this setup with a little bit of... 'stutter' at times. Worse when having lots of tabs open (like 5, 6 or more). It's been a bit annoying at times, I've tried to troubleshoot it, have tried wiping Windows and reinstalling, etc. Increased RAM, no luck, added the video card, no luck. I'm running dual 1080p monitors on the desktop. I don't know why it does this, and it's a minor annoyance, but it reminded me of problems I had that led to the return of multiple Windows Surface tablets, too - that is the only place I've experienced this.

But I thought maybe trying something with a Z370 or Z390 chipset might be something that could avoid this in the future? I dunno, since I don't know what causes it, I really can't say there's a lot of chance of this, but... I figured it might be worth a try for the new iteration of this machine.

Anybody got any suggestions on a good, solid little board for this - don't need any high performance, obviously, an i3-8100 OUGHT to be enough to run 20 open browser tabs without bogging things down... I would think/hope.

i know you said you increased the ram size but that would not help it boot. did you replace the ram stick all together? i would try using one ram stick at in the primary slot that needs it to boot, ie one stick in that slot. if you have done that, then have you tried new/different known good ram? other then that, it could be the cpu if the contact was really bad. could have possibly cooked the cpu last would be something with the motherboard being its power supply section after it gets its power from the power supply.

i did minor looking found asrock has a itx H370, newegg has it, does not say it is used.

you could always try ebay as well

last thing is to look around and find a deal on parts or a older oem pc, depends on how much you want to spend. ever since we lost Abit, i have had one or two boards from asus then found AsRock to be solid for the price with the features they have on the boards. if you want the Z options look at these ones,

i know you said you increased the ram size but that would not help it boot. did you replace the ram stick all together? i would try using one ram stick at in the primary slot that needs it to boot, ie one stick in that slot. if you have done that, then have you tried new/different known good ram? other then that, it could be the cpu if the contact was really bad. could have possibly cooked the cpu last would be something with the motherboard being its power supply section after it gets its power from the power supply.

Sorry.... the failure to power on was after no changes. When I said I added RAM, added video card, etc., that was like 4y ago in an attempt to help with the 'stuttering' issue. I think some of it may have helped a little, but never alleviated it completely, but it's been a relatively minor thing, so I've just lived with it.

The failure to power up just happened one day last week out of the blue. It's been running great with no changes in anything for 3.5 years or so - and the MB was used to begin with, I think I bought it from Earthdog. I just assume it finally gave up the ghost. Usually, if you've got a RAM problem, or a CPU problem or whatever, if you push the power button, you'll get a flash, the fans will try to move, a light will come on and turn off - SOMETHING. This does nothing. Not a thing at all. The MB DOES show a white light which is just a power indicator of a 5V from the PSU, so that at least is on at all times, but pushing the power button or jumpering the power +/- posts causes nothing whatsoever to happen.
Post magically merged:

And I agree with the options you listed - I've been mostly happiest over the last few years with Gigabyte and Asrock - Asus has good stuff, but some of their software issues have irritated me - like bricking my son's monster brand new laptop last month with a firmware update they still haven't admitted to being a problem. What a CF that was... <sigh>

Back