• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for 13600k optimization/OC/Undervolting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RM88

Registered
Hello guys

New here, hoping i could get some help from some more knowledgeable people than me - Ive recently bought the 13600k to match with my 4070.

After buying it, and my AsRock B760 Steel Legend mortherboard - i found out the "problems" this gen has with default overvolting that makes the cpu run hot.

So ive decided i wanna get on the OC/optimization train - and afaik, i will need a Z-chipset motherboard to do so?

I dont really know what to get though, ive been looking at the AsRock z790 PG Sonic/riptide - but i am not sure, but it has to be in that pricerange - i dont want a crazy expensive motherboard, but i still want something decent that can handle optimizing/OC/undervolting etc.

Hope you guys can help - Ty in advance.

So ive decided i wanna get on the OC/optimization train - and afaik, i will need a Z-chipset motherboard to do so?
Nope. That board should have the Vcore setting you need to tweak. The B760 chipsets don't OVERclock, but they will undervolt and run your processor slower.

Really, what I would do is to use a negative offset for Vcore. So maybe -0.05V and see if you're still stable/it runs cooler.

Nope. That board should have the Vcore setting you need to tweak. The B760 chipsets don't OVERclock, but they will undervolt and run your processor slower.

Really, what I would do is to use a negative offset for Vcore. So maybe -0.05V and see if you're still stable/it runs cooler.
Oh really? Well okay, ill have to look into that - but can they undervolt while still maintaining the same performance?

My info is based off of this video:

What caught my attention is, that he really just set a static undervolt and overclocks the cpu to 5500 - He then gets 2k higher cinebench score and a faster cpu, all while still dropping from 99C down to 79C on the temps - which i find crazy, and that is what lead me on this journey to try and get the most out of my cpu, while also getting significantly lower temps, and i think, to do it properly - Getting as much MHZ out of it, while also getting better temps for longevity, is what i want to do :)

EDIT: Cus just like his 13600k, mine too, skyrockets to 94-96C when running conebench.. Which i find odd.. And even under normal gameplaying i tend to hit 84-86C - with an EVGA CLC-240.

EDIT: Cus just like his 13600k, mine too, skyrockets to 94-96C when running conebench.. Which i find odd.. And even under normal gameplaying i tend to hit 84-86C - with an EVGA CLC-240.
Welcome to modern computing. It's how these CPUs are supposed to behave. The silicon is good to well over 100C and it will throttle before it gets there (@100C). Quite common for stress tests and Cinebench-type loads where it's using the entire CPU.

When setting an offset and nothing else, it will still behave with boost/changing the clocks, etc. The only reason to set a static overclock is if your uses perform better with all cores at a higher clock speed. If you're mostly a gamer, then it won't really matter much.

But yeah, there are different ways to skin the cat. Static voltage is one way (but then it doesn't drop on idle). Just setting an offset voltage will let the CPU to its default clocks, but just at a lower voltage. This should allow it to run faster as it won't be throttling on Cinebench (though your lower load won't matter, just lower temps).

Okaay! So, what youre saying is - i can do an offset votlage on my B760 chipset, and get lower temps, using lower power but still maintain standard level performance?

So the only reason for me then to get a z790 board, is, if i want higher clock speeds at the same time?

I mean, ideally, i would want to optimize it, you know, get higher clock speeds, all cores OC, while still having lower than standard temps and optimizing it really, for longevity while still getting some performance :)
From the video it seemed very possible to me?

EDIT: Also, forgot to say - that mine throttles at 94-96C. Because thats when it stops increasing in temperature - so i assume thats because it throttles.

Last edited:
kaay! So, what youre saying is - i can do an offset votlage on my B760 chipset, and get lower temps, using lower power but still maintain standard level performance?

So the only reason for me then to get a z790 board, is, if i want higher clock speeds at the same time?
Yes x2.

I mean, ideally, i would want to optimize it, you know, get higher clock speeds, all cores OC, while still having lower than standard temps and optimizing it really, for longevity while still getting some performance :)
From the video it seemed very possible to me?
With that board, you should be able to boost all cores to the max turbo for the chip (5.1 GHz, IIRC). I didn't watch the video, but yes, if you want to overclock (read - go past 5.1 GHz), you'll need a Z790 board. Do I think it's worth it to buy another board for a potential couple-few hundred MHz, not personally. Will we help you if that's what you want? Damn right!!!

Last edited:
Yes x2.

With that board, you should be able to boost all cores to the max turbo for the chip (5.1 GHz, IIRC). I didn't watch the video, but yes, if you want to overclock (read - go past 5.1 GHz), you'll need a Z790 board. Do I think it's worth it to buy another board for a potential couple-few hundred MHz, not personally. Will we help you if that's what you want? Damn right!!!
Oh re-heheheeaaallllyyy??

Man, this is interesting news! I would very much like to explore that option, cus that would save me money and i can put them aside for things/other upgrades down the road!

I mean, if you could help me achieve this, i would appreciate it greatly! - Cus i actually do like this steel legend motherboard - its an ITX, and i could barely get my GPU in there bcs of the rear i/o sheild xD BUT i got it for $175 from new and it has all the features i need.. Even ones i dont, like bluetooth and WiFi.

Cus if i could get the full stock value of the cpu + undervolt to have it run a lower temps - that would be amazing, and prob all i need for now - im thinking a 13600k running optimally at 5.1 all core should be more than enough for gaming?

Especially with my 5600 mhz DDR5 ram and the 4070 RTX.
Post magically merged:

Will we help you if that's what you want? Damn right!!!
Im so glad i chose this forum!

Last edited:
im thinking a 13600k running optimally at 5.1 all core should be more than enough for gaming?
Stock is more than enough for gaming. But, what res are you gaming at? If you're at 2560x1440 or 4K UHD, then I honestly wouldn't bother. If you're at 1080p, it's may be worth a few FPS.

Can you list your system specs (CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU), please? :)

High level, I'd leave the voltage on auto, set all P cores to 5.1 GHz (leave the ecores alone) and see what happens. If it's stable (should be), you can try to lower voltage via offset or however you want.

Stock is more than enough for gaming. But, what res are you gaming at? If you're at 2560x1440 or 4K UHD, then I honestly wouldn't bother. If you're at 1080p, it's may be worth a few FPS.
Im gaming at 1440p - but iut would still be nice to get some lower temps while maintaining the speeds?

Can you list your system specs (CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU), please? :)
Yes ofc :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600k Raptor Lake - 14 cores
RAM: G.skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5-5600 WH C28 DC - 32GB
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 - Gigabyte Windforce OC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 - 80+ Gold 750W
MB: AsRock B760 Steel Legend WiFi - ITX (Micro?)

High level, I'd leave the voltage on auto, set all P cores to 5.1 GHz (leave the ecores alone) and see what happens. If it's stable (should be), you can try to lower voltage via offset or however you want.
You prob have to explain that, as if i was 12 yrs old xD

You are going to need the BIOS manual for setting things up the way you would like. Here's a direct link to the PDF. Start reading at Chapter 3 page 25. :)

The 'User Manual' used to include the hardware setup, BIOS setup, and software setup. For some reason some of these newer manuals have separate BIOS manuals. :confused:

You are going to need the BIOS manual for setting things up the way you would like. Here's a direct link to the PDF. Start reading at Chapter 3 page 25. :)

The 'User Manual' used to include the hardware setup, BIOS setup, and software setup. For some reason some of these newer manuals have separate BIOS manuals. :confused:
Oh really, i didnt know that - i am going to download and read it, might help me understand the instructions of those trying to help, better :) Thank you.

Should i move this thread or , remake it in CPU categori if i need help optimizing the CPU then?

Ive read though the bios manual and ive updated to the latest BIOS etc.

But im still not confident in anything in terms of actual cpu settings :)

A Mod (moderator) will move the thread if needed, but continuing here should be fine.

I would like to help you with the BIOS but my newest Intel CPU is a 4th generation i5. A lot has changed with CPUs since then. lol

A Mod (moderator) will move the thread if needed, but continuing here should be fine.

I would like to help you with the BIOS but my newest Intel CPU is a 4th generation i5. A lot has changed with CPUs since then. lol
Haha, yeah okay i see xD But still, you probably know more than me... heh, im not really brave anough to dabble in power setting on the cpu on my own xD

I need some minimum understanding of the concept to do that i feel like :p

So let me know if you got time and want to help me JLK and Earthdog - im kinda stuck at updated BIOS etc. :)

I have set a negative offset in my AMD board, it was fairly easy for me to figure out. I spent some time today reading the BIOS manual for your board and I can't figure it out. Maybe @EarthDog or some of our other guys familiar with new Intel BIOS can help.

I have set a negative offset in my AMD board, it was fairly easy for me to figure out. I spent some time today reading the BIOS manual for your board and I can't figure it out. Maybe @EarthDog or some of our other guys familiar with new Intel BIOS can help.
Thats fair, thank you for the time spent though! :)

Hey guys.

From my first post i learned that i dont necessarily need a Z chipset board to fine tune my CPU for some better temps, longecity and a bit "more"/more constant performance.

The thing is, im a complete knownothing when it comes to CPU's and voltage/bios setting - ive only ever once tried OC with my old 6600k, yeaars ago, where i just followed a guide of pre-set settings. And it happened to work fine on my cpu.

So, im hoping someone would help me and guide me through the steps of what i should do - and mabe teach me a thing or two along the way :)

Hope youre out there, person who is going to help me succeed :D

Thank you.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600k Raptor Lake - 14 cores
RAM: G.skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5-5600 WH C28 DC - 32GB
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 - Gigabyte Windforce OC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 - 80+ Gold 750W
MB: AsRock B760 Steel Legend WiFi - ITX (Micro?)

Also someone was kinda to find the BIOS manual for me, which i will link here aswell.
I read through the manual, understanding what i could and ive updated bios to the latest version etc.

Sorry.. I didn't hit SEND last night to your PM, lol. The other thread lost steam, but, one is good. Merged so all the info is in one spot for everyone. :)

As was said earlier, you need to find where it sets the offset voltage. Take your time and look around in the BIOS, become familiar with it, and get an idea. I'm all for teaching a man to fish, but, I believe it's in the OC Tweaker section under CPU Core/Cache Voltage. THAT is what you need to set the voltage. The dropdown should have something like adaptive/static/offset. Set it to offset, and use the new voltage box that pops up below it to set the offset. I believe a value to start with was mentioned earlier (if not, start -0.05 with stock CPU or if you're raising all the cores to turbo, leave it at stock first and check for stability). ;)

biosimage007.jpg

This BIOS is from a B760 Steel Legend (except I know it's ATX, lol - the BIOS' aren't too different)

Last edited:
Sorry.. I didn't hit SEND last night to your PM, lol. The other thread lost steam, but, one is good. Merged so all the info is in one spot for everyone. :)

As was said earlier, you need to find where it sets the offset voltage. Take your time and look around in the BIOS, become familiar with it, and get an idea. I'm all for teaching a man to fish, but, I believe it's in the OC Tweaker section under CPU Core/Cache Voltage. THAT is what you need to set the voltage. The dropdown should have something like adaptive/static/offset. Set it to offset, and use the new voltage box that pops up below it to set the offset. I believe a value to start with was mentioned earlier (if not, start -0.05 with stock CPU or if you're raising all the cores to turbo, leave it at stock first and check for stability). ;)

This BIOS is from a B760 Steel Legend (except I know it's ATX, lol - the BIOS' aren't too different)
Ah okay, yeah thats fair - thats why i was hoping a thread with more specific title towards the cpu and bios was better perhaps :)
Hah, okay - well i do appreasciate your help very much!

Okay så your first message:
I never figured out what High level meant? - but i will try this first with setting all the cores to 5.1 and testing. I C23 suffiecient or should i be running another or multiple tests?

Also, will that mean all cores run at 5.1 at all times or just that all cores will boost to 5.1 simultaneously and then go back to lower when not needed, like normal boosting?

Last edited:
Back