• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x470 motherboard recomendations plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Im consideting upgrading from my 4790k to a Ryzen 2700x.. Get some G.skill flar x memory and that just leaves motherboards.

Its always the motherboards... So many to cbose from and 80% of them are usually trash.. Trashy bios.. Defective boards.. Or some other problem doesnt matter what brand intel or amd and its usually always been like this..

I cirrently have a Gigabyte board.. Its been great for 3 years.. Once i figure out how to fix the boot loop issue it had that so many people had as well.. I never updated the bios because well dont fix what isnt broke lol it works overclocks well and never causes me problems..

Ive had other brands in the past like Abit.. DFI Epox Asus.. But they are all gone now except asus.

Ive spent really all i should spend 3000$ on my pc.. And i have a 650$ budget for memoru mobo and a 2700x.. Might be able to up it to 750$ though because i plan to sell my 4790k memory and mobo so ill get most of my money back.

What im looking for is a x470 thats more future proof.. I want to take advantage of the upgrable option to zen 2 and possibly 3 if itll worl on AM4.. Thats the main reason im chosing this over a 8700k.. I do gaming and i know a 8700k is better but the intel 370 mobo wont support the 9th gen intel cpu so id be upgrading into a brick wall with the 8700k.

So for this reason would an x470 eith the 8+4 pin power connectors be more future proof for Zen 2 and 3 ? Probably im thinking ? Id like something with good onboard audio but it seems they are all stuck with realtek so ill need to buy a soundcard or sonething.. i hate realtek.. Good bios layout would be nice too.

Microcenter has mobo.2700x combos.. The Ones im looking at are the Gigabyte x470 Gaming 7 and the Asus rog strix x470-F.. Both seem to habe their quirks though.. where the Asus board ppl said tends to have that lower end motherboard feel too it with looks to make it seem better... And the Gigabyte board seems to have poor bios layout and ive read reports on bios corruptions being common.

Honestly neither looks apealing.. Asrock seems to have failed well they have aome poor ratings on their x470 boards.. Tbh this really only leaves the Asus Crosshair Hero V2... Which seesms great but god its expensive..... and i dunno if i can spend that much.

What do you guys recomend.. I guess im looking more mid range for the price.

I wouldn't make this upgrade, personally. For 750, id rather go 8700k, mobo, and ram, regardless of upgrades (which zen 3 more than likely wont fit) if you cant use the cores. If yoy cant use the cores and insist on amd get a hex is my suggestion.

Edit: you said in your other thread you only game and browse the web... ryzen 2 nor an 8700k is going to help those things at your res..id rather have, for your listsd uses, the 8700k simply because it overclocks a hell of a alot further and you dont need the cores.

Last edited:
Candyman you've been in this game a long time. You've seen some of the great boards come and go. I apologize if this seems blunt but it's what needs to be said.

There was a reason those DFI boards were so expensive and it's the same reason the many of the ROG boards are too. It's because they are worth it. If you want a top end board with top end service, that comes with a price. As you know a mid range board will come with mid range features and mid range support.

With the amount you have invested in this build I'm afraid it would be a dis-service to put in a lesser motherboard. This of course is a choice that ultimately you must make, but personally I wouldn't buy a board that wasn't at least brand "x"'s top board be it the Taichi, Crosshair, or Aorus.

Just my 2¢.

Candyman you've been in this game a long time. You've seen some of the great boards come and go. I apologize if this seems blunt but it's what needs to be said.

There was a reason those DFI boards were so expensive and it's the same reason the many of the ROG boards are too. It's because they are worth it. If you want a top end board with top end service, that comes with a price. As you know a mid range board will come with mid range features and mid range support.

With the amount you have invested in this build I'm afraid it would be a dis-service to put in a lesser motherboard. This of course is a choice that ultimately you must make, but personally I wouldn't buy a board that wasn't at least brand "x"'s top board be it the Taichi, Crosshair, or Aorus.

Just my 2¢.

Yoire not offendig me lol.. I thought the same exact thing.. Ive spent too much to go mid range. lol

As for 8700k or 2700x. This is the thing.. both cpus arent worth getting over my 4790k i realize this. But the way i see it is i can buy the 2700x and x470 then when ryzen 2 comes out plop the chip right in.. And im betting the 7nm ryzen 2 will outperform a 8700k.. To wherr the 8700k id be stuck on that 370 board id have to sell both the board and cpu.

But your also right the 8700k at 5ghz vs a 2700x at probly 4.2.. All ive seen are mainly stock vs stock benchmarks and the 8700k wins the one oced bebchmark i saw of the 8700k oced it averaged 9fps more in games at 1440p.. With a few like bf1 getting nearly 20..

Uhg i feel like im driving myself nuts here.... Litterally losing sleep.. i wanna get off this 4790k specially while it holds its value to sell.. They sell for 250 on ebay.. if a 8700 is 330 and 2700x 299 im paying 80 more for one 50 for another so almost nothing.. But if i keep waiting how much lower in value will it go

Agreed.

For me the price to jump to DDR4 is what's keeping me gaming on my 4790k. I could justify a new CPU/MoBo after selling my current set-up, but the resell for DDR3 and the cost of new DDR4 being stoopid high RN is just not going to happen for me.

Honestly, its a processor, not worrying about what life is like for my children...please don't lose sleep over this. :)

Either way, you will be happy. Yes, you can drop in Zen 2, but who knows what Ice Lake or w/e Intel has next will be. I'm guessing now that AMD has caught up, Intel isn't going to continue resting on their laurels any more. About the only thing AMD brings to the table is more cores for less. That's it. You don't seem to use the cores, so what does AMD really bring you.... a dream of a drop in CPU? I'd personally bet the overclocked Coffee-Lake will last just as long as dropping in a new Ryzen 2 would........without changing the CPU from an 8700K. You really need to pick and choose for the now, IMO.

I have no kids.. So my worries are nill atm haha.. Ive priced the two out.. the AMD in total would cost me about 750.. Intel 830 for an equivalent motherboard. I mean i can return my keyboard i bought to make up the difference but im litterally running out of money im pushing ny budget getting intel.. And i still want to buy a dedicated sound card too as i hate realtek.

So its basically a tear up of a 4.7ghz 8700k with no upgrade future or a 4.2ghz 2700x thats 10fps slower with an upgrade future and a sound card. Lets say Ryzen 2 or 3 whatever they wanna call the next one comes out ( the zen + ppl are calling zen 2 so im vonfused) And its glocked at 5ghz base clock.. And i can sell my 2700x and spend 100$ to get the next zen... Or be stuck with the 8700k.. I could sell it and thr mobo but id have to pay more.. and gahhh im being and idiot making assumptions.

Im just trying to think ahead is all. Because whatever i get i dont plan to update for yearrrsss except if its amd ill update it because its easier..

Am i being a dumbass if i get the 2700x ? You call me that lol i wont take offense.. I wanna know if im a idiot or not

The issue with trying to plan for the next upgrade has always been the inability to predict if a new socket will be forced into existence. Until we are able to accurately predict the future we generally suggest living in the now. What are your needs now and hope it lasts.

Ima just get the AMD.. Its 40$ cheaper and i need that 40 towards the soundblaster x AE5 i wanted to get.. Its only 40$ but im at the brink of being at 10$ left for food in my wallet haha

Well I got the 2700x. Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 x470 motherboard. 2x8Gb G.skil Flare X cl14 3200 memory. And a creative soundblaster X AE5... My comouter is now complete !!! Im happy :)

20180703_182420.jpg

Back