• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rog strix x670e-a and 7800x3d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(Clanger)(DOA)

WT Uberclox0r
Hey everyone, I have a few questions. I’ve done light searching but haven’t been able to find anything.

I have an ASUS Rog Strix x670E-a and a 7800x3d, the bios doesn’t seem to let me Oc with eclk.. ai oc won’t enable cause of the x3d…. is this just a capability that boards like the cross hair has? Also I don’t see pbo 2. I’ve done the curve optimizer with an neg offset of 30… seems to yield some results..

Im running the most current bios.. Am I missing a setting or do I lack the capability? Any input is appreciated.

Some OC options are disabled when X3D CPUs are in use. The only way to really overclock 7800X3D is to set a higher PCIe clock, but you need a separate bclk option only for the CPU. I don't think your motherboard has it. At least I can't see it listed on the product website. On Crosshair series motherboards, it's described as "asynchronous clock" in the features.
I see barely any difference on my ASRock B650E PG ITX when I play with PBO settings. No matter how I set the curve and max boost clock, I can't OC 7800X3D on this motherboard. I wasn't trying the ASUS B650E-I Gaming, but it doesn't have a separate bclk/PCIe clock, so I don't really want to waste time.

Thanks for the reply. Okay, I thought all rog strix boards would do that. Now I know lol. So far I’ve have the best optimization with the pbo disabled and runing the the curve optimizer negatively offset -35. I know it’s not oc’ed but it boosts better to 5050

I see that no matter how I set PBO or curve it goes up to 5040MHz on all cores (bclk is slightly below 100MHz). In theory 102.5MHz PCIe should still work, but my motherboard has stability issues above 101.5MHz, so max is somewhere around 5.1GHz (slightly lower bclk than I set in BIOS).
I also noticed that it doesn't matter how you set RAM, as long as it's 6000 or higher and with not really relaxed timings. I had similar bandwidth results at 6000, 6200, 6400, 7200, 7600 and 8000. Only latency is significantly different at tight, manual timings. Because of large and fast cache it doesn't change much anyway.

Btw. I was thinking to get ITX motherboard with a separate bclk option, but looks like there is not even one. I bet it's because of additional chip and there is no space on the PCB. I also couldn't find anything from cheaper series in ATX/mATX. The cheapest and good motherboard seems X670E GENE. I have one, or maybe I gave it to my brother recently since I can do everything on cheaper/smaller ITX mobos (that I already have anyway), and besides that bclk option, everything else overclocks the same.

On the other hand, the performance in games of the 7800X3D is great and it doesn't really need OC. Max with bclk can be something a bit above 5.3GHz, so it's also not so really big difference.

Yes you are right it preforms amazing out of the box. But since the Prescott days the rebel in me wants to oc the chip your not supposed to oc. lol 5050 is fine with me

Back