• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X670e master vs strix e e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achlles7

Since i cant get my hand on a tachyon

And b650e master are bugged

Which am5 board can come near to tachyon for ram oc?

The asus gene doesnt have hdmi which i might need in streaming

What am thinking about is x670e master or strix e e

Which one should i go for?

Oe there is some other recomendation?

Pretty much every higher B650E/X670E will give you the same. Tachyon doesn't guarantee anything, and in most cases, you can count on the "whole" one memory ratio higher. HiCookie made 9k, but on a special BIOS and in their lab. In the wild, it's hard to find anyone with more than 8200 (I'm not saying it won't work, it's just hard).
Many ASUS mobos run at 8000. Strix B650E-E, B650E-I, B650E-F, B650E-A, Crosshair Gene, Hero, ... all can make 8000 stable ... all also probably won't even post at 8200+. ASRock B650E Taichi/ITX run at 8000 ... they can't start at anything higher. MSI, I'm not sure, but somehow, I don't trust them in this generation.
B650E Master isn't bugged. GB locked voltages at 1.43V when there was all the noise with too high SOC and burning X3D chips. I have no idea why Gigabyte doesn't want to unlock higher VDD/VDDQ when it has nothing to do with the X3D issue (as they found out sometime later). Every new GB BIOS has it locked at 1.43V, so it's not bugged, it's just GB :bang head 1.43V is still enough to run at 8000 CL38 stable, but if you buy the most expensive mobo and think about overclocking, then if it doesn't work at any higher clock, then you want to tighten the timings, and it won't work without higher voltages. On the other hand, tighter timings give nothing out of synthetic benchmarks.

Really, I was passing the same, and I just gave up as there is only Tachyon that boots above 8000 and it's limited for Japan/Korea and maybe 2 other close countries if I'm right. I feel like Z790 Tachyon X won't be released out of Asia too.

I actually have the B650E Master for tests as I like the 4x M.2 PCIe 5.0, and the X670E Master feels somehow worse for my needs (and costs more). The voltage limit is the same for both mobos. I also have or had most of the mobos that I mentioned in this post.

Last edited:
Thanks for those infos
1st i want ti tell that ddr5 high voltage mode have been fixed on some aorus mb latley

2nd about the b650e master the bug is said to be related to avx workload which cause craches and black screens it can be tested with
Cinebench r23
May be yours is from those fixed version
But there is no way to differntiate between without testing

3rd since u tried all the above mb
If u have to choose only one to be your daily
Which one would u trust?

I'm using Strix B650E-I Gaming daily. It's running 24/7. I used to have X670E Gene for my test/benching rig, but since there is no difference in RAM OC, then I gave it to my brother (like a whole PC and I sold his older stuff), and I'm using B650E Master because of easier to switch and less problematic M.2 usage, all M.2 PCIe 5.0 sockets, 4 memory slots for additional tests, and it still runs with RAM at 8k without issues.
If you want something for RAM overclocking, then ASUS has the best BIOS - easier to set, more optimized for various IC and more often updates. If you want to use X3D CPU, then pick something higher, so it will support separated bclk for the CPU (X670E Strix E/F, Hero, Gene). All higher ASUS mobos seem to be well-designed and reliable. I had no problems with any of them and I haven't heard any repeatable issues.
ASRock and MSI have weird BIOS support, and worse than expected RAM support. Gigabyte is great for higher RAM and RAM compatibility in general, but they make weird decisions and some models have little issues that are covered in later revisions (and you never know what you get). Many mobos have 3 revisions already with some different components (usually only WiFi, sometimes audio).

I haven't seen problems with my B650E Master, but there are maybe 3 revisions right now. I haven't been using it for some time, but I will check it sometime later this week as I have to test something anyway. There was a new BIOS recently - the official F20, not beta. I have to check how it works as the F20a doesn't work any better than the previous one.
I had no locking/bricking issues mentioned in the video with Crucial, Corsair, VColor, G.Skill, Patriot, and some other brands. Every 1.0.0.7c or later BIOS, simply can't pass training and clears settings after some time when I set 1.43+ VDD/VDDQ. XMP/EXPO for 1.45V kits doesn't work too.

Update:
My B650E Master works with VDD/VDDQ above 1.43V on the latest F20 BIOS. It doesn't work on the earlier F20a beta or anything with 1.0.0.7c AGESA. I could run 1.50V VDD/VDDQ without issues. I still can't make it start with RAM at 8200, but it's still good that one issue is solved.
I also checked Cine R23 (multiple runs), AIDA64 CPU+FPU and all benchmarks, Blender, some other benchmarks, and some 3D stuff that I had to run for something else. I had no issues with AVX or without. It's at least on my mobo. I took a quick look at some issues on the web, and it looks like some users have problems with 2 other B650 Gigabyte models, too (Gaming X or mATX Gaming X).

The list of recommended motherboards is getting shorter ;) I recommend getting something from stores like Amazon, as then is no problem with returns if something doesn't work like you wish. On the other hand, expect to get a mobo after a return as it's quite often, at least for higher models that have random quality (ASUS APEX is the best example).

Last edited:
I'm using Strix B650E-I Gaming daily. It's running 24/7. I used to have X670E Gene for my test/benching rig, but since there is no difference in RAM OC, then I gave it to my brother (like a whole PC and I sold his older stuff), and I'm using B650E Master because of easier to switch and less problematic M.2 usage, all M.2 PCIe 5.0 sockets, 4 memory slots for additional tests, and it still runs with RAM at 8k without issues.
If you want something for RAM overclocking, then ASUS has the best BIOS - easier to set, more optimized for various IC and more often updates. If you want to use X3D CPU, then pick something higher, so it will support separated bclk for the CPU (X670E Strix E/F, Hero, Gene). All higher ASUS mobos seem to be well-designed and reliable. I had no problems with any of them and I haven't heard any repeatable issues.
ASRock and MSI have weird BIOS support, and worse than expected RAM support. Gigabyte is great for higher RAM and RAM compatibility in general, but they make weird decisions and some models have little issues that are covered in later revisions (and you never know what you get). Many mobos have 3 revisions already with some different components (usually only WiFi, sometimes audio).

I haven't seen problems with my B650E Master, but there are maybe 3 revisions right now. I haven't been using it for some time, but I will check it sometime later this week as I have to test something anyway. There was a new BIOS recently - the official F20, not beta. I have to check how it works as the F20a doesn't work any better than the previous one.
I had no locking/bricking issues mentioned in the video with Crucial, Corsair, VColor, G.Skill, Patriot, and some other brands. Every 1.0.0.7c or later BIOS, simply can't pass training and clears settings after some time when I set 1.43+ VDD/VDDQ. XMP/EXPO for 1.45V kits doesn't work too.

Update:
My B650E Master works with VDD/VDDQ above 1.43V on the latest F20 BIOS. It doesn't work on the earlier F20a beta or anything with 1.0.0.7c AGESA. I could run 1.50V VDD/VDDQ without issues. I still can't make it start with RAM at 8200, but it's still good that one issue is solved.
I also checked Cine R23 (multiple runs), AIDA64 CPU+FPU and all benchmarks, Blender, some other benchmarks, and some 3D stuff that I had to run for something else. I had no issues with AVX or without. It's at least on my mobo. I took a quick look at some issues on the web, and it looks like some users have problems with 2 other B650 Gigabyte models, too (Gaming X or mATX Gaming X).

The list of recommended motherboards is getting shorter ;) I recommend getting something from stores like Amazon, as then is no problem with returns if something doesn't work like you wish. On the other hand, expect to get a mobo after a return as it's quite often, at least for higher models that have random quality (ASUS APEX is the best example).
Thanks man
THat was realy helpful
I guess i will go with the x670e gene
I read its one if the best for ram oc
May be as good as the tachyon
The only down side that it doesnt have hdmi port
But just today i learned that its usb type c port
Has display port capability
And thats a game changer
And after u recomend it too
I guess it is my choice
That was realy helpful man
I learned alot from u

Gene is great. The only issue that I had was the DIMM.2 card, and PCIE 5.0 SSD. For some reason, on my mobo, it was working at PCIE 1.0. I don't know if something is faulty or it was a matter of BIOS, but PCIE 4.0 x4 was working fine. On the other hand, there is a regular PCIE 5.0 socket too, on which I was testing Crucial T700 at full declared speed.
I couldn't make my mobo run at more than 8000 on any official or beta BIOS. It was like 8000 CL34 was working fine, 8200 at any CL or voltages, couldn't even post. I was checking it with 3 different CPUs. 8000 works fine at XMP with multiple brands, even though these kits were not designed for AMD.

There were a couple of reasons why I gave it to my brother. One was that it is too good to sell cheap as used, so I want to keep it around anyway. I can still get it back when I wish to (he just needs something else). I had a hard time testing some coolers as it has slightly moved CPU socket and tall heatsinks - Deepcool Assassin IV doesn't fit, Noctua NH-U12A doesn't fit with offset mounting (and probably NH-D15 also), and some other large coolers may have some problems too. I assume you go with some type of liquid cooling, but I still wanted to let you know as barely anyone will tell you that.

Probably you have seen it already, but if you missed it then here is the ROG forums thread with some tips and beta BIOS - https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/x670-resource/m-p/901576#M590

Regarding the m.2 card i guess there is only one side of the card that support pcie 5.0
Make sure u use that side as the other face only support 4.0
For ram oc i guess going beyond 8000 u must be extremly lucky with your cpu
Even on intel platform 8200 stable need pure luck to get a cpu that can do it with the apex
I gues that apex is the only board that can do it

And my main focus with my system will be timing
I dream with a dual rank hynix a kit
That i can achieve 6400 cl 28
Ryzen really love timing and dual rank

Thats my dream build

What is your experience with tight timinigs?
Have u achieve cl28 at high frequancies?

Sad to know it doesnt support large air coolers
Although i intend to use liquid cooler as realy the board is too pretty to be coverd by a heatsink

But i always love to have an aircooler in case of faulty liquid coolers
I was intending to get thermalright frost spirit 140 v3
But i guess now i must do my reserchea to know what air cooler would fit

By the way there is something interesting about noctua coolers
I read u can set it both horizontaly and verticaly
U know vertical orientation where the fans face the top and bottom of the case
wouldnt that solve the problem and move the cooler away from the the heatsink?

I will have a look at the forum u mentioned images - 2023-12-27T051002.349.jpeg

Last edited:
Regarding the m.2 card i guess there is only one side of the card that support pcie 5.0
Make sure u use that side as the other face only support 4.0
I know that, but for some reason, it didn't work when I was testing the T700 SSD while in the same socket/side was working PCIe 4.0 SSD as 4.0. However, as I said, it can be something with my mobo, as I haven't seen anyone mentioning this issue on the web.
For ram oc i guess going beyond 8000 u must be extremly lucky with your cpu
Even on intel platform 8200 stable need pure luck to get a cpu that can do it with the apex
I gues that apex is the only board that can do it

And my main focus with my system will be timing
I dream with a dual rank hynix a kit
That i can achieve 6400 cl 28
Ryzen really love timing and dual rank

Thats my dream build

What is your experience with tight timinigs?
Have u achieve cl28 at high frequancies?
I tested 4 different CPUs on ASUS and ASRock mobos. 2 as I remember on Gigabyte. All of them on all my motherboards could make 8000. Not even one passed training at 8200. On the other hand, I haven't seen even one result at 8200 on ASUS or ASRock. I only saw one guy who made 8200 on GB B650E, and that 9000 result, made in the lab on Tachyon. I'm not sure if it's a matter of CPU only, as it's really weird how easy it is to set 8000, and the next step doesn't even boot.

I used to test CL26/28 up to 6800, but on Ryzen I see no special difference out of synthetic benchmarks. The same goes for dual-rank kits. On Intel, they're scaling much better in games than on AMD. At least this is my experience. What's more, if you have an X3D CPU, then RAM matters even less. I have similar results at 6000-6200 CL30 and 7200-7400 CL34 (so like XMP for some kits). Similar using 2x32GB or 2x24GB kits. Most CPUs won't work fully stable at 6400 1:1. From my CPUs, only 7800X3D works at 6400 1:1 without any issues. All others are passing some stability tests, but crash in longer runs, like games. This is also one of the reasons why so few DDR5 kits designed for AMD are rated at 6400, and most are at 6000.

Sad to know it doesnt support large air coolers
Although i intend to use liquid cooler as realy the board is too pretty to be coverd by a heatsink

But i always love to have an aircooler in case of faulty liquid coolers
I was intending to get thermalright frost spirit 140 v3
But i guess now i must do my reserchea to know what air cooler would fit

By the way there is something interesting about noctua coolers
I read u can set it both horizontaly and verticaly
U know vertical orientation where the fans face the top and bottom of the case
wouldnt that solve the problem and move the cooler away from the the heatsink?

I will have a look at the forum u mentionedView attachment 363977
Depending on the cooler, it may fit. It still causes problems like will cover RAM slots, so you need only low-height RAM for that.

Btw. here is a photo of how close is NH-U12A to the graphics card, and it's not even the largest cooler. This mobo is really the best with AIOs or custom liquid cooling. I used to have it with a custom loop for some months.

1695300879238.jpg

Back