• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build problems with i5-13600KF and ASRock Z690 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZDarryl

Hey Guys,

I was putting my new build together and had problems with ASROCK Z690 Steel Legend motherboard with an Intel i5-13600KF CPU.

When I started up the new build, it doesn't beep or post and the diagnostic lights say DRAM is bad.

So I returned the DDR43600 RAM and bought some 3200 RAM and had the same problem.

I contacted ASRock Tech support and they had me do various things, but couldn't get the PC to post.

I returned the motherboard and got a replacement and it is giving me the same problem!

I am wondering if the problem is that the bios is not compatible with 13th gen CPUs???

I am wondering if I need to get a Z790 mobo to get it all to work??

Any thoughts?

i5-13600KF
G. Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 (16gb x 2)
ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi 6E mobo
MSI AIO 240mm cooler
ASRock RX 6600 8gb Graphics
Corsair RM650X PSU
ANTEC Dark League DF600 Flux case

+1... try the BIOS Flashback feature. Flash to the latest BIOS (regardless of what's on there - but you can see via a sticker on the BIOS chip). See if that works.

I haven't tried to flash the bios and I don't know what version is on the board since it won't post. I will see if the chip says the rev on it tonight. I have tried one stick of RAM at a time in every one of the 4 slots with the same results, no beep and no post. With no RAM I get 3 long beeps.

I was about to return the board and try a different brand, but then I saw some info out there that Z690 boards need latest bios to recognize 13th gen CPUs. I find it strange that diagnostic lights say DRAM is bad, if bios doesn't recognize 13th gen CPUs, then I would expect it to say CPU is bad...

I find it strange that diagnostic lights say DRAM is bad, if bios doesn't recognize 13th gen CPUs, then I would expect it to say CPU is bad...
Typically this is because the memory controller is on the CPU.
Now knowing what you mentioned here, it is almost certain that flashing the latest BIOS via Flashback will fix your issue.

I happened to take a pic yesterday and I think that might be the bios chip at the bottom. The sticker looks like it says 6.03??

Attachments

• 20230131_193458.jpg
    20230131_193458.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Back