• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Choice for a 13700k build with overclock future

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e4rthdog

The base build consists of:
  • i7-13700k
  • G.Skill Desktop RAM Trident Z5 RGB 32GB Kit 6400 MT/s DDR5
  • Corsair CPU Cooler H170i iCUE Elite
  • Corsair Obsidian 7000D Airflow TG White Full Tower
  • 2 x SAMSUNG 990 PRO 2TB
I will keep my PSU 850W and my MSI 3070 for now.

I am planning of overclocking or at least have a stable performance as the build will be used in Flight Simulators and single thread performance in MSFS is vital.

The system will work with 2 monitors in native 1440p resolution.

I am thinking of the following 2 options for a motherboard:
  • Gigabyte Motherboard Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (Z790/1700/DDR5) or
  • MSI Motherboard Z790 MAG TOMAHAWK WIFI (Z790/1700/DDR5)
What's your opinion on which of them i should go for?

Of course any other proposal is welcomed.

I did a compare of the two boards and didn't really see much difference.
Both boards have similar ratings for their CPU power delivery (16 phase), and both have similar NVMe PCIe 4.0 slots.
The MSI may have better sound with it's Audio Processor, but someone with more experience with onboard sound can clarify that for me.
The Gigabyte is less expensive here in the US and that would be a big plus for me.

I haven't heard anything about either company's support being so bad you should stay away (always worth looking into IMO).

Personally I would go for the Gigabyte because I like a bargain, but either board would be a fine base for a MSFS2020 rig.

Thanks.

I am on a 8700k, overclocked to 5.1 and using a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming v1.0 without any noticeable issues. Here in Greece , the price difference is only 8-10 EUR. The reason i am skeptical is that i have read a couple of reviews about Gigabyte board with negative comments for USB specs and audio.

Hi euro twin! Long time no see!!!!:ninja:

I'd lean towards the MSI as I think it has better audio codec/bits...buuuuut, you likely won't notice a difference. I think the Giga has a last-gen ALC1220 versus the 4080 (current gen 2nd in the stack, 4082 is flagship) As far as USB specs, what do you need? Does the Gigabyte still have that count/speed? You need to compare against how you use/plan to use your machine as it may be different than others. The MSI has the better VRMs (16x @90A versus 70A), but either would handle a 13900K overclocked on ambient/not get in the way. You'll be limited by the temperature of the CPU first.

Either will do just fine....but I lean towards the MSI as the bells as whistles chime louder, for what little that's actually worth.

Also worth noting, the MSI has a promo code for $40 off making it a few quid cheaper than the Giga. If you're ready to pull the trigger, the MSI hands down at that price. :)

+ $40 off w/ promo code MDSCS23327, limited offer

EDIT: A quick glance shows they both have around the same count and speed? I see each has 20 Gbps ports, 10 Gbps, 5 Gbps and USB 2.0.... so think about that/your needs as that's a ton, really.

Last edited:
Thanks.

MSFS as all Flight simulators are very sensitive to the balance of the whole machine. Whatever you do you will end up seeing the message "Limited by main thread" or "Limited by GPU" and that is normal. It just says that i cant produce more FPS due to Limited Thread (CPU) or GPU.

So the task is to have rig that has little or no bottleneck, by design, between CPU and GPU, for the resolution you are targeting.

But in any case MSFS is all about compromise. There will always be some compromises you will need to do.

My current setup is in the signature and my resolution is 1440p. I have locked 30FPS with mostly Ultra settings with payware aircrafts like PMDG.

On the other hand i get down to 25FPS with Fenix payware.

I have set my priorities not to have 1.000.000 fps cause i don't need them, but to have as much as correct colors as i can, so using nvidia freestyle is a must. Also the visual elements for ground and sky/clouds are in priority for a as-real-as-it-gets "feeling".

With the new machine i expect to see a lot more cases of GPU limitation and i will aim for as much as single thread performance as i can get out from the 13700k .

I would expect for stable 30fps everywhere with anything. If i can achieve that i will keep my 3070 for much longer. If not then io suppose that i will face GPU replacement (>= 4070).

I will report back.

Back