• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU choice for new PC build - GTX 1070 or GTX 1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIZZnice

Hi Guys,

I have recently built my first PC, I've actually re-built it twice now, and have been using it consistently for the last 4-6 weeks. I love it so far and so happy I decided to build my own vs buying an iMac or something already out there. My first build started as a HTPC, I had decently small case from Silverstone with an MSI Micro ATX M170 Mortar Motherboard. I had an EVGA 650Watt PSU that was decent and I even used it for a little while once I switched to the bigger case. My issue with the HTPC was that I had a liquid cooled CPU and GPU, my 140mm Radiators forced me to put the fans on the outside of the case, sitting next to it on my desk was not fun since I bumped the fan blades a couple times with my fingers. I also was gaming pretty good at 4k but in the long run I wanted a full tower PC that was capable of expansion. So here is what I am currently using:

Corsair Obsidian 750D
8 Corsair ML 120 & 140 fans
Corsair RMI 1000watt PSU (limited edition #4) pretty happy about this!
MSI Z170A X power titanium gaming edition
32 gb (2x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB
MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X (includes liquid cooler loop & I have OC'd this)
i7 6700K (OC'd to 4.69 ghz)
Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler

I can't OC the 6700k past the 4.69 and it runs very consistently at this speed and so far I am pleased with going this high because on the Mortar mobo I could only safely get like 4.4ghz. Gaming wise I'm sort of happy, I can run Dishonored 2 at very high graphics safely and consistenly, Watch Dogs 2 and the Division are much harder, I can play Watch Dogs 2 at like high to very high and the Division at medium to medium high. I know there are a few games coming out that I am looking forward to playing but honestly I really want to be at Ultra settings with these games consistently without crashing.

I feel I need a GPU upgrade.

Here's my options:

1.) Buy a second GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X (with SLI, means I have 3 140mm radiators floating around my case with tubing going left and right, 1 rad on the bottom, 1 on the back, and 1 on the top) also this is the most cost effective at 500.00

2.) Upgrade to 2 x GTX 1080 Sea Hawk X - with SLI and still have 3 closed loop rads in the case, how would power consumption be though with a 1000 watt PSU, just wondering if I'd be pushing that. 1400.00 upgrade

3.) Upgrade to 2 x GTX 1080 Sea Hawk X with water block included, this means I'd have to buy a res/pump combo and create my own water cooling loop. I really want to do this but this upgrade is I'd say more experienced and about another 2k in price 1500 for GPUs and another 500 for water cooling loop

I've read reviews a bit and it seems that the 1070 is perfect for SLI in terms of power consumption and it does seem like a sweet spot. And since I already have one would be the easier cost option for me to go with to get me where I want to be with 4k resolution.

Please let me know!

thanks
Bizz

I'd go with 2 1070's. And return that overkill PSU and buy something more appropriate (650-750W - EVGA G2/G3 sounds right) to help offset the cost.

I'm okay with going that route, I really just want to make sure I can play games at 4k with near max settings.

But.. I like the special edition PSU, it's white and it goes with my white theme! plus I'm number 4/100 lol so I'm happy about that.

What about a custom water cooling loop, because the MSI 1070 can also come with it's own waterblock, I'd just need to buy a separate waterblock for the other 1070 and take off the stock liquid cooler. This would be a hybrid choice between options 1 and 3.

Back