• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended CPU for overclocking for KT333 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snipester

I have a GA-7VRX mobo and I have 333 FSB RAM.
I was wondering what CPU is best. I already have a Palamino 1800+ but I want something to max out this boards potential. I was looking at thoroughbred "B"'s probably a 2400+.......

What are my options for best overclock??
my FSB is overclocked a bit already so my board can handle the extra...

ITs running at 145 mhz FSB...... I can go up to 150 but stability becomes an issue..
I can set RAM speed either 266 or 333
I have it set at 266 so the ram speed is 290 ......

Is it more wise to buy a higher speed (try a barton??) or try to do an overclock of a thoroughbred?

Have people gotten bartons to work on KT333? is it dangerous to try?

Also would the dividers be automatically set? like.. at 166 or 200 the divider increase to 1/5 or something?

The system that you posted about most likely has the potential to be pretty decent. If I were you, I would look into the cheaper line of CPU's and try to make it go as far as possible. I do not have any personal experience with a KT333 board, but with my KT400, 333Mhz memory, and a 2200+, I managed to hit 2Ghz, which is a respectable overclock when looking at the hardware used.

If you need more information on the art of overclocking, and getting every last Mhz out of a CPU check here: http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088 it is a guide with loads of information regarding the overclocking of AMD CPU's.

Hope that you can achieve what you are hoping for with that machine.

With best regards,
Tray

Unlocked Barton 2500+ or 1700+/1800+ DLT3C Tbred B will let you get high speeds by playing with the multi and FSB. The 2500+ will be especially nice because of the extra cache on your system with "low" fsb. (I got to 183 on my KT333 board, 192 on my KT 400 board, which is lower performance than you'd get at 220MHz Dual Channel on an NF2). The hit won't quite be as big if you have more L2 cache, because fewer cache misses mean fewer trips to main memory. Unlocked is important, however, or you won't be able to push the chip to it's potential with the FSBs available to you.

Thanx for the info......

So I guess i'm looking into unlocked Barton's at 2500+
...... seems the most overclockable/powerful if I can play with the multiplier...........

a 1700+ seems a bit slow... I don't think I could strain the system to get it to almost double its rated speed... SEems like the barton with the extra cache is a better bet

Also do u know any places that sell Checked/Unlocked Barton's Gaurenteed? Seems like their going fast.... I heard someone say that it has to be before week 39 or something?? Also distinguishing from barton's and Thortons are impt...

I read that long post but i'm kinda confused... is the week number all that matters? and should I really go rush out to buy one?

EDIT: On second thought maybe I should get the thoroughbred B.. My multiplier goes up to 12.5x only!! and its by jumper.. Its either set to auto or a specific multiplier... Can I trick the auto to sense another multiplier?? WEll anyways looks like all I can do is either overclock FSB only on a fast thoroughbred B or get a 1700+/1800+ unlocked and see how high I can OC

Last edited:
Have you checked to see if your board has a 1/5 divisor? My 8K3A+ does, so at 166 FSB, the AGP and PCI are in spec.

I guess it depends on the manufacturer and revision of the board. I know my friends MSI KT3 Ultra does not.

The 1/5 divisor has allowed me to run the FSB all of the way up to 214 on my 8K3A+. I had to drop it down to 209 though. I discovered that my CD burner wouldn't work at 43 MHz PCI bus. But it does work at 42. :D

So I have my $45.00 Newegg T bred B 1700+ running at 2.3 GHz (11x209) on a $60.00 refurb KT333 motherboard. I love cheap performance.

IS there a program that will tell me what the divider is at?

I think this mobo automatically changed divider when u hit a certain speed.

Sisoft Sandra will tell you the current AGP and PCI bus speeds under the mainboard information.

You may want to check for a BIOS update. The original BIOS for my Epox didn't show you the PCI bus speed relative to the FSB. But a later BIOS does.

Back