• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 9 5950x on Asus tuf x570 plus, SOC voltage on Auto vs manual?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

User5566

Registered
I'm currently trying to find out thd best speeds I can get with my setup. I was told it is not optimal already, but at the moment I'm sticking with it.

I have 128gb of ram in g.skill 32gb modules that have Hynix 16gb dies with letter "C". These are sold as 4000mhz cl18-22-22-22-42 at 1.4v.

I couldn't boot all 4 (3 did booot) at xmp settings until I upped the voltage to 1.425V. Then I decided latency is more important to me than bandwidth so I dropped the frequency to 3600 (to have 1:1 with fclk) and I got cl-16-20-20-20-38 working. This is with SOC on Auto which means it is around 1.085v. I've been mostly following the DDR4 OC guide and it says to set SOC to 1.1V.

But I'm not sure if this advice is still relevant in 2023. We've had 3 years of bios updates since these cpus came out and for example my auto settings maintains the soc voltage at 1.085V at light load, then at 1.1V most of the time, spiking to 1.105 occasionally at high load.

When trying to find best timings for my ram (that is somewhat disadvantaged by being dual rank and having lots of it). Am I better setteot at 1.1V as in the guide or keeping it at auto?

If you arent having any problems 1.1 is fine, and normal for 1800 1:1. I use 1.125 for 1866 1:1 on my 5900X, so maybe that might help you out.

That SOC voltage is fine. Higher may give you some more headroom to tighten things down, coupled with more on the sticks.

I'd check to see if the juice is worth the squeeze for sure. :)

Yeah you gotta send me that 5950x so's I can make sure it'll clock as high as I can push it. You know, to help you out with my hands-on approach :rock:

:cheers:

Hell yeah my chrome brotha :attn:

View attachment 363540

These are some nice boost clocks!

So it seems my g.skill 4000 2*32gb cl18 ram at cl16 3600 mhz crashes after about an hour of running prime95 (custom profile set the same as "big ffts" but for 116gb out of 128 total and 14 cores). The ram crashed when it went up to 61C. There are 4 sticks tightly squeezed together so no surprise there.

All the secondary and tertiary timings were "safe" taken from the DDR4 guide.

However, it was being run at 1.425V at the time so I decided to turn down the fans, up the voltage to 1.44 and to repeat the stress test. This time it proved stable, but I stopped the test when it got to 70C after about 90 minutes.

Then I decided I can live with cl18 so I dropped the voltage to 1.4V and went to cl18-20-20-20-38 all other timings still on "safe" (these safe settings are much better than my MB defaults). This has run prime95 same config all night with no problem. In the morning the ram was 62C.

However, then I put together the entire cost of my Ryzen 9 5950x upgrade and I realised I can essentially upgrade to ryzen 9 7950x for the same price due to some extra parts I'll not need and discounts I got offered. So I'm returning my 5950x and 128gb of new ram :ROFLMAO:

So I'm returning my 5950x and 128gb of new ram :ROFLMAO:
What RAM are you getting now??

Edit: forget it, I see another thread already, lol. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back