• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Super Glued contacts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icenine04

Can anyone tell me the best method of removing super glue from my L1 bridge contacts.

did'nt tape them up properlly when trying to unlock my cpu and now I cant connect them becuase they have a layer of super glue on top.

fingernail polish remover works the best...use a cotton ball or q-tip so you wont scratch the bridges or anything else...will take some time but it will work...

You could also use super glue remover (they really make it, no sarcasim meant)

I'd just think that the remover is probally less harsh then acetone (even though it's prob jstu acetone and water, lol ).

I don't know if using a harsh solvent on a cpu is even bad, but just thought I'd give my 2cents

Hey thanks for everyones help Im gonna try the acetone and qtip method asap and see how I go.

nail polish remover is not acetone, that's a common misconception. Nail polish remover is a mixture of solvants, the main ingredient is ethyl acetate. But that's OK, ethyl acetate is a better solvant than acetone anyway. I'm not sure it works on hardened super glue though.

There is a special super glue remover, and that is nitromethane. Now that's not something you'll find easily because it's classified as a hazardous substance. Besides super glue remover it's used as a fuel component in model airplanes/cars and in drag racing. So if you have a drag racetrack nearby you could get some there, those guys use it by the barrel.

(in modeler's circles it's a well known fact that nitro is a super glue remover, and that's a plus as we don't have to fork extra money for other chemicals since we have it already and it's pretty cheap).

Last edited:
There is a product called Goof Off. Can be found typically in the paint department. It will get damn near anything off even superglue. Also all that sticky crap that gets left behind by labels that are glued onto stuff for years and that sort of thing. I have not found anything better than that stuff.

Whoa. I always though nail polish remover was acetone too....weird

I work at a hardware store, and goof off is damn good. Only thing is don't use it on plastic :) It'll either warp or change color.

The super glue remover I was talking about was acually made by the same company. I've used it before (when i've gotten it on my fingers), and it chilled my fingers like acetone does. I dunno what's in it though, but it worked great.

stamasd said:
nail polish remover is not acetone, that's a common misconception.

Actually, the stuff I have been using (Cutex) has a warning on the back label that says it contains Acetone. I needed it at about 4am when no hardware stores were open and ended up going to the 24hr Shoppers drug mart to get it:)

Al

well it just so happens I own and race a nitro RC Car.

So I already have heaps of nitro fuel

Lucky Me!!

Back