• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is biostar reliable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want to get one of these boards too. Do you know of the overclocking options on it though?

i herd bad things about bio star in the past, but never had 1
i bought a biostar mobo for my girlfriends puter cus it had good features and all good reviews at newegg, and good PRICE
they are great dependable and solid. for all my friends and fam. i build budget systems for thats all i use, so get it you wont be let down

I have the M7NCG. I like it quite a bit, although I have no other nforce2 board to compare it to. I have it up to 200FSB with the integrated graphics turned off. 200 is the max setting in the bios since it is not an ulta version.

I've just put this thing together and it works excellent, the polly even runs at only 36c!!! never heard of that before!! I dont think its so much the board as it is the nforce2 chipset. Excellent job on the chipset I think, deffinetly the best so far for the athlon xp's.

I built 2 systems with Biostar M7NCDP. No problems whatsoever. I chose to replace it in my main rig just because I needed some extra the M7NCDP doesn't come with.

And I didn't notice any performance change at 11x200 when compared to my current board. Never tryed to take it higher either (only 2.8 VDimm if I remember correctly, which kinda sucks)

So, I would say that it's a very user friendly board, which can do a hell of a job at stock speeds, but I wouldn't buy that for a high overclock.

Most Biostar boards don't have many Overclocking features....I use the M7VKB 2.0 and it has virtually none, only thing that can be adjusted is the FSB, which has the potential to make it unstable, as mine is at the max CPU spec already of 1.2Ghz Athlon, when I had my old 800Mhz Duron in it I was able to OC it to 856Mhz Stable by inching up the FSB a little, then I got greedy for more power :D (over 2 years ago) and got my Thunderbird. Ah, those were the days, when I could actually afford new parts.......

I just started having problems with my M7NCG.
1. USB only power ups around 75% of the time. When windows powerups USB always starts. Just makes it hard to get to the bios and safemode.

2. The clock stability on the onboard sound is very very poor.

3. It just started hating all my PCI cards as it will no longer use drivers for any of them. Even with a fresh windows install.

If it wasn't for the ability to run 400 FSB it would be gone.

I just built three systems for some family/friends, two used the Biiostar M7NCG (the IGP board in question), and one with the M7NCG Pro (same board + fireware and other goodies).

If I had two words to describe these boards, it would be rock-solid. One even saved the life of a 2100+ CPU when I installed the heatsink incorrectly (doh!). For the price, they can't be beat.

Overclocking options are typical of all other Nfforce2 boards whos BIOS is based on Nvidia's reference design. This includes Vcore up to 2.150V (crazy high), VDimm to 2.9V (higher than most), VDD to 1.8V (chipset voltage). The latter is something you don't find very often on budget boards like this.

Due to the fact I wasn't building these systems for myself, they weren't overclocked high. I merely raised the FSB to 166 (up from the default 133) on a 2100+ CPU to make it a 2700+. The vcore on all three were increased to 1.75, which worked flawlessly on these boards.

I would definately recommend them to anybody looking for a solid motherboard at a nice price, even for overclocking purposes. As far as I know, they don't use the Ultra400 chipset, so if you are looking for FSB > 200mhz, you should consider a different board. One other thing that was a disappointment: The multiplier range available, depends on the CPU. If your CPU has a default multiplier of 13 or below, you will only be able to use 5-13X multis. Likewise if you have a CPU with a multi of 13 and above, you will only be able to use 13-22X multis. <-- This was typical of both boards.

most biostar boards are great as far as reliable, no frills boards. thats also why they're inexpensive, they dont have all the fancy features and bios adjustments of other boards.

i've probably built 10 or so systems build with biostar boards, most based on the km200 chipset, a few with the km400, and one with an nf2 chipset, and haven't had any complaints from anyone with any of that machines...

Back