• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not even sure what is wrong here *scratches head*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Yeeeaaaaa. I think i killed it. but i have thought that several times before and as im on it now, writing this message, i have no idea. I have spent the better part of this evening trying to make my system work.
Yesterday, I dissembled my pc entirely to do some cleaning up of my wirejob and hide some things.
I cut out my fangrill in the front. Had to use a pair of scissors which was pretty interesting. having an aluminum case though, cut through it like butter.

So. i tested my machine from top to bottom to figure out the problem. no matter what i did, i just could not make that damn thing boot up. No post, no beep, nada.
however, if i reset the cmos and removed the battery, it would boot once.
after that, it wouldnt boot again...
well, assuming that i could get it to boot at least once, i assembled everything together and put my panaflow fan on the heatsink since I might as well not have the noise as i wont be overclocked.
it boots, i set up my bios and restart.... it restarts telling me my cpu is inoperable or compromised...
" PHUC!"
it seems my cpu is incabable of opperating at stock speed anymore. If i change it to 200 mhz fsb though, it works perfectly.

well, i got that. it boots. but what i found to be strange is that it now boots every time...

at first, i imagined it was one of my parts. then my powersupply. then i finally arrived at the bios battery being a possiblility since it would boot the once, then fail immediatly after.
I tested by booting the one time by turning off the psu, removing the bios and crossing the cmos clear jumper, put battery back in and reconnect the cmos. sure enough it boots, and i tested 5 times after which did not boot. so this supported the battery claim...

then i put on my panaflo and the thing boots every single time O_O

I dont know whats going on here.... i tested 25 boot attemps just click click click. all worked. then i tried 25 by turning off the psu, all worked.

is it possible my smart fan 2 is causing my machine to fail for some reason? im afraid to shut down now on the chance that it wont boot up again. im not sure what needs to be replaced. the cpu fan, the battery.... <_< the board.

I swear my system has a gremlin, and right after i demonstrated to a friend at work how well 2500 mhz runs halo. he cried.. literally as he has been playing it on a stock 1800+ with stock stuff and a radeon 8500 le.
i could have broken somthing with that mass overclock. somthing similar happened a while back when i tried to break 2500 mhz which i fixed in a similar manner <_< I fear my piece of orange air blowy goodness now....

Nobody can help clear this up with me? the problem is that the fans spin up, all the lights turn on, everything is on, but the system doesnt boot. almost like i botched an overclock. is it failing to find the bios or somthing. ie, dead battery? should i flash my bios. is my psu dieing *its running right now but im afraid to turn it off now* whats going on?

The only thing I can think of is try reseating the CPU, and only boot with memory, the CPU, and video. If that works consistantly, add the drives back. Then add the other cards. Hopefully that will fix it.

Or, you said it would kind of work after removing the battery for a couple of minutes. Maybe its weak. Get a new battery.

I just did some crawling around the abit support forums. didnt take me long to find an answer myself to my problem =\ a lot of people are apparently having these same issues with the board which is somewhat dissappointing. but the fact that i can get a replacement, completely free under warantee is just fine with me.
it is running now, but Im afraid to shut it down. it just doesnt boot up consistantly. thing is. i wasnt having any problems with this untill i started to use onboard audio either. is the problems with it related to this? oh well. i wont do it tonight, but since my smart fan 2's speed control up and died, i have my fan running full bore.
since i have two shrouds on it, intake and exaust, it is fairly quiet for 5500 rpm. so ill probably just overclock the bejesus out of this since i have to live with the noise anyway =\
if my machine doesnt boot consistantly, getting a stable oc will be an interesting feat too. but i guess once its good and stable *2400-2500 mhz* i never need to shut it down.

ill rma the board once i get some more information.

Back