• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu burn-in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

i was running prime95 at the same time cpu burn-in and gives me 100% ram & cpu load... BUT if i only run prime95, ram is 100% load BUT cpu load is only 50%... question:

is it important to run cpu burn-in? running prime95 with only 50% cpu load, is that normal? or ok?

Oh oh oh........ I know this one! :D

You are using HT on your cpu. XP reads it as having 2 processors working, each at 50%. So you are still using it at 100% (2x50%).
Go to your hardware manager and it will show that you have 2 Intel processors.

ah ok, so i dont need to run cpu burn-in when running prime95 then?

btw, i lowered my vcore to 1.550 no good and now 1.575 no good, prime95 is getting errors... going back up to 1.6 :)

when i run two instances of prime 95, i get 100/100 usage of my "two" cpu's. I run a "blend" and an "in place fft's."

just make sure you set the processor affinity in each instance of Prime so that one is "0" and the other is "1" otherwise they will both "work" the same area of your CPU and not fully stress it.

in HT cpus (or any dual proc system) the 1st "cpu" is labelled "0" and the 2nd is "1".....

i dont like the whole HT thing. its just a gimmick to me. you see, they try to offer something not many people need. intel says you can compress a file while playing a game, no problem. but who would compress a file while playing a game? also, it only lets a given program have 1/2 (50%) of the cpu. so if you have a 3ghz cpu, and your playing a game, that game will only get 50% of the cpu, or 1.5ghz. i didnt want that so i disabled HT. its really of no use to me. i used it once for load/heat testing. in this case i ran prime 95 and folding at once to load up the cpu and do a heat test. other than that, i wont use HT, id rather my games get the full cpu than half of it.

there are programs being develop to use 100% cpu even if HT is enabled... there should be a use of that, maybe not as of the moment :)

gustav said:
i dont like the whole HT thing. ..., it only lets a given program have 1/2 (50%) of the cpu. so if you have a 3ghz cpu, and your playing a game, that game will only get 50% of the cpu,

actually I don't think this is 100% correct gustav........ I think most apps will get 100% of the cpu, its just that the way the usage is reported to the operating system makes it appear to give only 50%. If you do the actual timing/benchmarks I think you will see that you are not getting 50% reduction in speed by enabling HT. that would be ridiculous!

I agree with you that HT is mostly a gimmick, and I have not noticed great imrpovements compared to non-HT Athlon rigs for example, but in any case, is sure does look impressive to see those 2 cpu graphs cranking in the Task Manager!!:D :D

and we all know in the end, that looks are more important anyway... hehe LOL j/k

hehehe actually i just learned that earlier :) thanx Luck dude...

yeah i think your right. if one program is running, say a cpu burn in program, or folding or whatever, then it will get 100% of the cpu, but say you have 2 programs that normally, when run by themselves, take up 100% of the cpu, then this is when the HT kicks in and gives 50% to both. its not really like having a dualy, it works similar to a dualy, but with a dualy, if two programs that want 100% of the cpu are running, then both programs will get 100%. HT doesnt really help me but i guess some people like it.

fold? hmmm i posted a thread for that, but nobody answered... hmmm what is fold?

folding, or protein folding, is a program that uses spare cpu cycles to find out why proteins fold, from what i understand, when proteins fold it can cause diseases, like cancer or diabetes and what not. so, by running this program, your helping man kind. the program has work units, and there is so many frames for that work unit that your processor works at. i get a lot of 400 frames, they take my 3.3ghz cpu about a day or so to do, but if i play a lot of games, its gona take longer. F@H only takes up the spare cpu cycles, so if you play a game, that needs 90% of the cpu, F@H will get the other 10%. find out more here

Back