• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What a week....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craneage2001

So last week was definitely uncalled for...

1) I planned to WC my Barton in my sig the last weekend (Jan 31/Feb1). I got it installed, but I had a few leaks to take care of. I drained the system and figured I'd get it the following weekend (this weekend...I'm at school with no place to work during the week). Meanwhile, I'm stuck using my 266 laptop.

2) On Tuesday, I discover somebody's using my debit card and charging stuff on it. I call the bank an cancel it; I'm told I have to stop and the bank and sign some papers, which I figure I'll do on Friday.

3) On Friday, I go to leave school around 2:00 to have plenty of time to dink around with my WC stuff at home. I have to stop at the bank and at the hardware store to pick up some hose clamps as well. As I get one block down the road, my alternator dumps its rear bearing, so back to the parking lot I go. I call the parts store and a new alternator is $120.:mad: However, I've got $20 in my wallet, no checkbook and no debit card. I get a ride to the bank and then to the parts store. I change the alternator in the parking lot and head on my way, by now 6:00.

4) I get home and fix all my leaks. I take my block off and check that I was seated (it was perfect). I run it all Saturday morning without leaks. In the evening, I go to fire it up and it won't post at all (no beep, just HD spin-up). This board's done this to me before; usually I could just unhook the HDs and it will POST. I can then restart with the HDs on and it's fine. I figured it was a BIOS glitch. However, this time, I everything I try fails. I take out all my cards and try barebones and still no dice. I flash the BIOS and go take a shower, letting the comp sit a bit (also has fixed it in past). I come back and fire it up and still no post. This time however, I smell a bit of smoke and immediately shut it off...I see a wisp of smoke from under the waterblock...:mad: I take the system completely apart and see a nice burn under the core of my Barton...The core was cool to the touch immediately afterward. There was also a small burn line out from the core about 1/8" long. The block was seated fine. Royally perterbed, I take out all of my WC stuff and put my 850 TBird in with my heatsink. The mobo won't even turn on...So now I have a dead CPU, Mobo, and probably a defunct PSU (the psu turns on when I jump it).

So I've had an great week...do you think the PSU burned me up? Anything that you see that I did wrong?

Also, since I'm in the market for a board, cpu, and PSU, what do you recommend? I was looking at:
-----------------------------------
Asus A7N8X -$88
Fortron 350 -$42
Barton 2500 or 2600 -$85

Total: $215
OR
Abit NF7-S -$101
Fortron 350 -$42
Barton 2500 Mobile -$95

Total: $240

(Sorry about the vent, but this past week has me seriously pi**ed, and thanks for any input)

Last edited:
Ouch, that sucks man. I'm not sure if I understand what leaked though? Mind enlightening me.

For your setup, I'd add $12 to he budget and go from the Asus mobo to the Abit NF7-S model, I have the NF7 and its great, just wish I'd spung for the SATA support.

It leaked by pump (on floor of case) and on my external res...both were easily fixed.

I'm leaning towards the second system, although I really don't feel like throwing down another $240...

Perhaps spend a bit more on a more powerful PSU. In my opinion, PSU, keyboard, monitor, mouse, CD Roms and other accessories should be carefully selected because they will likely be used with numerous motherboard/memory/CPU upgrades over time. I humbly suggest that the PSU be given a bit more consideration for future use. Perhaps 450W. There are several good threads you can research on PSU's.

I've got to CD drives and two HDs and only one 12v fan, so I shouldn't draw too many watts. I've heard good things about the Fortron 350, which is the reason I picked it. Any other suggestions?

look at the amps on the components
fans are ~.25 amp @ 12v
HD are .6 amp @ 12v 1amp @ 5v
cds are a little higher
not really much..
but what takes a lot are not those parts
the cpu can take like 6amps and a highend graphic card can take that much too. possibly too much for a 350psu expectually if u plan on overclock
if u can get ur hands on a 450w fortron that would be the best investment expectually if u decided to get a better graphic card in the future

Back