• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

hey guys i am building a mew water cooling setup
and i have a question
i have a 12V inverter i bought for my truck
it is 75W peak and 60W continuous
if i wanted to cut the cigarett lighter
plug off and turn it into molex what wires are what on a molex?

i assume the red is hot and the blacks are ground but what about the yellow?

any help would be appreciated
thanks

ok lol so i dont hook up the red to the inverter

i want to hook up the molex to start up my pump

the two black go to the ground and the tellow goes to the power side but what do i do with the red

nothing?

If you want to power your pump from this inverter then just run the live from it to the yellow and the return to the black, just leave the red alone. Why don't you just run the pump from your PSU? Or a secondary PSU? Old AT PSU's are becoming a dime a dozen and any old 200-250w PSU should run any pump specifically designed for computer watercooling fine.

i ordered the eheim 1048

i have a second PSU do i need to cut wires?
and if so the hot coming from the pump goes to the yellow and the ground goes to the blacks(both?)

i can do that and i will jumper the psu to another molex right?

will a 145W work well?

The Ehiem 1048 runs off of 120v wall current, there's no need to splice it into a power supply. If you did that it wouldn't work. If you want it to be setup to only run when your system's running then you'd need a relay, which would run off of your main PSU without any problems.

I see what you're getting at now. I've seen that kit around (Can't seem to find a review link though....) and from memory I haven't heard anything bad about it, but I couldn't say either way as I run my pump 24/7.

Back