• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system build/help/advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TitusTroy

Hello, first time poster here...I've had my current system now for 8.5 years (other then the video card which I upgrade more frequently)...I'm finally looking into building a new one...but technology and hardware has changed so much ((NVMe, MLC/TLC, M.2 etc) that I'm slightly overwhelmed...I've been researching online the past week and think I've gotten a better understanding of things but I'm still confused about certain aspects and need advice/help...some of the questions may be very noobish so forgive me ahead of time

here's my current proposed build...I'm mainly using it for gaming and light overclocking...I want my system to last another 6+ years so I'm looking for long term value...I'm going to be re-using certain parts such as my GTX 1070 and Lian Li A70B case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQmddX

1) I'm totally confused about NVMe...there are PCIe, SATA and M.2 versions...using certain ones seem to either disable some pci-e lanes or disable SATA ports or lower performance etc...which is the best way to hook these up?...in the m.2 slot of the mobo or using a pci-e adapter?...or is it better to just use standard SATA 3 SSD's like the Crucial MX500?

2) my case has room for 7 fans (not counting the CPU fan)...my proposed board has 7 fan headers on it:

4-pin CPU_FAN
4-pin CPU_OPT
4-pin AIO_PUMP
4-pin M.2_FAN,
4-pin CHA_FAN1
4-pin CHA_FAN2
5-pin EXT_FAN

I know the CPU cooler goes into the CPU_Fan header but can I place my remaining fans in any of the other headers?...also do all case fans come with Molex plugs, 3 pin and 4 pin plugs?...so every fan (3 pin or 4 pin) I plug directly into the mobo is able to be monitored and controlled through the BIOS?

I also have an NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller...is it better to plug them all into the controller versus the motherboard fan headers?...what is the advantage of one over the other?

3) any recommendations on quality but affordable 1200mm case fans?...I need at least 5

thanks for any help!

1. M.2 is the form factor/connection. SATA or NVMe are the protocols. You can have a SATA m.2 (as fast as regular sata, or nvme based m.2 which is a ton faster (on paper).

2. Depends on the fans and board. Are the fans 3-pin and goltage co trolled or 4-pin and pwm controlled? What does the board support (see manual)? They should be able to be controlled....see previous sentences.

2a. Depends on if you want to control through the controller or bios/windows software... through the bios can go by temps...not sure if that controller can do the same.

3. 1200mm are some huuuge fans. :p

On the cheap side, i love my yate loons!

2. Depends on the fans and board. Are the fans 3-pin and goltage co trolled or 4-pin and pwm controlled? What does the board support (see manual)? They should be able to be controlled....see previous sentences.

2a. Depends on if you want to control through the controller or bios/windows software... through the bios can go by temps...not sure if that controller can do the same.

3. 1200mm are some huuuge fans. :p

On the cheap side, i love my yate loons!

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming is the board I'm planning on getting...I haven't bought the new case fans yet...so what should I be looking for ideally?...3-pin, 4-pin?...so every 4-pin is not automatically PWM?...any fan I plug into the motherboard will always run at 100% speed or does the motherboard control the speed based on temps?...or is it better to just hook everything up to a fan controller like the NZXT Sentry 2?

What does the manual for the board say the headers can do? Many boards can control both 3 and 4 pin fans, but not all...hence why im saying to look at the manual. :)

Regarding the fan controller or bios see 2a.

The motherboard can go by temps or your manual setting.

What does the manual for the board say the headers can do? Many boards can control both 3 and 4 pin fans, but not all...hence why im saying to look at the manual. :)

Regarding the fan controller or bios see 2a.

The motherboard can go by temps or your manual setting.

the manual states that 6 of the headers are 4-pin and one is 5-pin...but if it accepts 4-pin doesn't that automatically mean that 3-pin fans can also be connected?

Connected, yes, controlled, no. The manual should state which headers are PWM/Hybrid controlled. Apologies I do not know offhand.

I am pretty darn sure that board is able to control both DC and PWM fans. I wonder if some reviews have BIOS shots that show the options...

Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure it does control both as I had a chance to play around with the F Gaming and vaguely recall it doing so.

I am pretty darn sure that board is able to control both DC and PWM fans. I wonder if some reviews have BIOS shots that show the options...

Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure it does control both as I had a chance to play around with the F Gaming and vaguely recall it doing so.

so basically I can buy any 120mm case fan as long as it has either a 3-pin or 4-pin connector?...then hook it up to the motherboard headers and I should be able to control the speed either through the ASUS software or through the BIOS?...then any remaining fans I have after using up all the motherboard headers I can hook up to my fan controller?...thanks for the help...sorry if I wasn't clear as I'm sure this is much simpler then I'm making it out to be...I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly

EDIT: one more thing...so based on that pic, if I hooked up a 3-pin fan to the header then the fans would just run at 100% speed all the time because the PWM and Ground connections are too far apart to be connected with a 3-pin...I would need a 4-pin to be able to control it?...or the 3-pin would only be controllable through voltage control?

if your going to run the sentry i would only connect the pwm cpu fan to the mb to set up a curve. running the rest through the sentry makes adjustments so much easier on the fly. are you buying new fans or going with fans you already have?

if your going to run the sentry i would only connect the pwm cpu fan to the mb to set up a curve. running the rest through the sentry makes adjustments so much easier on the fly. are you buying new fans or going with fans you already have?

all new fans...I've gotten a few recommendations...

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103090

Arctic F12
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-P...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00H3T1KBE

Corsair ML120
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181112

be sure to check out the noctua redux fans. they are among the best case/hsf/rad fans youll find. they dont offer any with leds/rgb tho.

Back