• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 Disappeared?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

Hello,

My backup rig stopped working afew days ago.
Its a 9700k, Gigabyte Z390 auros pro, 2080ti, 16gb ddr4, crucial 500gb m.2 nvme and a 1tb sata ssd.

This rig has been up and running for 4 or 5 years now, I changed the case about 2 years ago, but other than that it has the same configuration as it was when it was first started up. I've never had any issues with it, and it was running fine before I moved to a new location about 2 months ago, and I can't think of anything of note that happened to it during the move. Since moving, I've had it on, and got into windows with no issues, but its only been on afew minutes since move. So I doubt the move had anything to do with it.

The rig boots fine, but the M.2 that was the OS drive is no longer detected. So it just gets stuck at bios asking for windows.

What I've tried,
1.) I replaced the m.2 with a identical Crucial m.2 nvme 500gb, but it was still undetected.
2.) I tried the other m.2 port on my motherboard, but still the m.2 wasn't detected. Also when I did this, the two SATA drives disappeared, which was expected.
3.) I flashed the motherboard bios to the most recent version f12. Also tried optimized defaults, but no luck.

Is my motherboard failing?
Sadly, I don't have a extra 1151 socket board on hand to try to isolate the board.

Tough one. Both of those are attached to the chipset so I'm wondering if something is wonky there. Try without anything in teh SATA and be sure the slots aren't set for SATA in the BIOS.

can you test the suspect drive in another system or externally?
Pretty sure he used two different drives (Im assuming the second one was new or at least known good) in the slot(s) already. But you can confirm they work in a new system/attached externally, absolutely.

Pretty sure he used two different drives (Im assuming the second one was new or at least known good) in the slot(s) already. But you can confirm they work in a new system/attached externally, absolutely.
Yeah I did.
It sounds like its the motherboard, I'll try a SATA free boot later today.

And then probably end up buying a new motherboard.

Oh wow, finding a 1151 board is going to be hard.
All I can find is refurbs from china.

I didn't think the 9700k cpu was that old, but yeah, I just checked, it was released in 2018...

It's better to get something new when you are forced to change the motherboard. Even if you go the more budget way and get an i5 CPU (even locked), then it will probably be faster. It also won't run so hot and will use less power. Windows will ask for reactivation on any other motherboard. The OS itself should boot on a newer Intel chipset.
An alternative way can be a PCIe card with M.2 socket/s. They're quite cheap.

It's better to get something new when you are forced to change the motherboard. Even if you go the more budget way and get an i5 CPU (even locked), then it will probably be faster. It also won't run so hot and will use less power. Windows will ask for reactivation on any other motherboard. The OS itself should boot on a newer Intel chipset.
An alternative way can be a PCIe card with M.2 socket/s. They're quite cheap.
Ehh, not really. If its your main rig, yeah, but if it was just a older rig that you keep running as a backup to your main, then doing a full upgrade seems like wasting money.
It snowballs really quickly, from what would have been just a new $200 mobo, to a new mobo , cpu , newer dd5 to fit the mobo, and possibly a new copy of windows.

I assume everyone does this, but whenever I upgrade to a new computer, I trickle the last computers parts down into a 'backup rig'.
Something that I can fall back on if the main ever has issues.
I currently have 2 backup computers... :eh?:

Even my oldest rig, a 2500k is still pretty capable, as a file server, htpc, or game server for older games.

Back