• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some games crashing, others not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
As many of you may know, I have been having issues with my rig with certain games crashing, but others not. I've been playing tag with my parts trying to find out why these games crash and not others.

It's come down to 2, maybe 3 components. I have 2 different Nvme drives in Raid-0: Crucial P5 Plus 500gb and a WD Black SN850 500gb. Because these are 2 different drives, one or both of them are complaining and I'm getting file corruption. Not as bad to make windows crash, but when I do an sfc /scannow it always finds corrupted files and repairs them. I've never had that issue before. I remember one time I did and it was one of my drives failing. Once the faulty drive was replaced, no more file corruption.

So I was going to grab another Nvme drive, WD or Crucial, whichever's the cheaper one to pair with the one In my rig. I had the crucial in my cart for $65, but out of nowhere the price went up to $72. I checked the WD drive and it was $100 on newegg. Went straight to WD's site and it was $69. A no brainer so I snagged it. I have my work cut out for me. I'm going to be swapping Nvme drives plus I'm going to swap power supplies as well. A fresh OS install with fresh new drivers and hopefully this will fix my game crashing problem.

Have you run through memory tests? If you're getting corrupted files it's possible that the memory is corrupting before writing?

Corrupted files are almost only because of RAM or storage errors. I would check RAM, especially when it's a PC from the sig, so 4x16GB.
Recently I had weird instability issues on one PC. It was passing all CPU and RAM stability tests, but it was still RAM related. I noticed it's crashing in 3DMark Stability Test and some benchmarks based on games (not all, only some).

+1 to memory tests as well.

Also, maybe try without RAID as it's only adding another layer to this onion....you likely don't need the additional throughput so, K.I.S.S!

My thoughts when some games crash and others do not is what are they using to drive 3D? Perhaps your graphics driver is bad? In that case run ddu to remove all drivers and reinstall new ones. If the games that crash are huge resource hogs, then maybe you have a power supply that no longer keeps up. Memory issues would also show up in this case so I agree with the RAM testing.

I'm also confused as to why you would have NVMe's in RAID 0. I guess I'm not confused. Why would you do it? Because you can and it could be super fast. NVMe is already so fast to me that I never thought of putting them in RAID.

So yeah, A list of games that work and don't work night shed some light onto the issue.

So yeah, A list of games that work and don't work night shed some light onto the issue.
A lot of this is a continuation from the other thread. I think we've tried everything, lol...

This is what I've done so far as for tests:

3 different sets of ram. All 3 sets test good
Tested different drives for games ( SSD's and spinners) All test good
Different video cards (3080, 1080Ti, 1070, 670) all test good
3 different power supplies, all test good
Different drivers,. same results

Games that crash:

Tom Clancey's Wildlands=Crashes constantly
Tom Clancey's Breakpoint=Runs fine
FarCry 6= Crashes constantly
FarCry 5= Runs fine Addon maps crashes
Generation Zero = Crashes Constantly

All Metro games Crash
All Wolfenstein games Crash

And this is just on Steam. Don't get me started on Ubisoft

Only thing that I haven't changed is the Cpu and the motherboard.

I run raid because I like it. I've always ran raid.. About the ram: I'm only running 2x 16gb. Forgot to update the sig.

Another thing: I can bench (3dmarks/Superpi, unigen, etc) with zero issues, but games continue to crash. I don't get it

Last edited:
Have you tried disconnecting all existing drives and throwing some spare (of any kind) on there with a freshly downloaded and freshly installed (day 0) W11 on it.... update chipset drivers, GPU drives, DL STeam, DL game(s) and try? maybe it's something leftover on the OS/drivers, etc....

I can send you a 500GB SATA SSD if needed...

1 thing I had to do was use a lower mhz memory kit.

Memtest didn't generate errors.
Benchmarks complete.

Gaming loaded up all components more than 50%. That was my guess as to bsod.

Have you tried disconnecting all existing drives and throwing some spare (of any kind) on there with a freshly downloaded and freshly installed (day 0) W11 on it.... update chipset drivers, GPU drives, DL STeam, DL game(s) and try? maybe it's something leftover on the OS/drivers, etc....

I can send you a 500GB SATA SSD if needed...
Hmmm, Not a bad idea. What I was going to try next was using only 1 Nvme drive, fresh OS, drivers, etc, and install just a few games that crash on it. I have spare drives Joe, thanks for lookin' out. I was also going to try Nvme os drive and try either 2nd Nvme and/or an SSD for the games.

Ah before I forget: I tested each of my spinner drives. Surprisingly they all test good. I was fortunate when I got these spinner drives. Very low hours for their age.

I'd go super simple out of the gate and be sure the new drive isn't one on your system. That's part of the point, to rule out all of that hardware AND the OS.

I'd go super simple out of the gate and be sure the new drive isn't one on your system. That's part of the point, to rule out all of that hardware AND the OS.
Oh heck yeah! This is what I got brand new:

Super Flower Leadex Plat 850w
WD SN850 Nvme
Team Group T-Force Vulcan Z 480gb ssd

Also will be running stock just to make sure I cross my Tees and dot my eyes. I'll pray to the PC Gods and serve up a sacrifice if need be to fix it. If this doesn't do it, I dunno

After watching tons of YT videos, reading countless posts on different sites, there has been similar issues with games/softwares crashings & instabilities which points to the CPU being the culprit. Stereo55 went through this issue with 2 different 5900X chips. One would run winders just fine, but put a load on it and it would just crap the bed. 2nd chip was even worse and it would just crap soon's it got to winders. He finally got another 5900X which luck would have it, is an excellent chip.

So I figured toss more money at the problem and get a new 5900X. Yayyy mee :cautious:

I mean, you can try that too (don't mind the free suggestions first)...lol...fingers crossed that's it!

...keep us posted!

Ok here's an update: Decided to start swapping parts today. I did the power supply with the Super Flower.
I disconnected all my spinner drives. I dismantled the raid-0 os drives and secure erased both.
I finally found which M2 drive is which. 2 different ones:

A) Crucial P5 Plus -500gb
B) WD Black SN850 -500gb

So I removed the Crucial drive and installed the new WD Black SN850. This is the main OS drive now. 2nd SN850 is the game drive.

Fresh winders/drivers/etc. Started d/ling Steam and games. Just installing the worse crashing games to see if they'll run.

Running stock speeds on everything. Ram is set to XMP. To keep it real simple I'm using onboard audio. Will update with results.

Well, that was a bust. Figured a fresh os install, and a fresh steam install would do it, but nope. FC5 and Wildlands both crash, tho they did play for about 2 minutes this time around.

So far I know it's not my raided spinner drives. Using a single new drive with fresh winders only and the games on a single drive did nothing. Problem persists.

New power supply is nice. Killowatt shows about 30w less power usage. So a small win. New 5900X enroute. Running out of parts to swap.

Back