• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case temps - 1st of many dumb questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolarExpress

Registered
Okay last time I even tried any OC was on a PII 300hz. As you can tell its been awhile. I was always very interested in the water cooling rigs. So I lurked and troll'd as much as I can and think i have managed to overload on the info.

When pulling air into the box using the chevett HC how much does this raise case temps? Is it so much that with decent airflow it will still be to hot for the none WC parts of the box? This is assuming moderate amount of OC. The point for me at this stage is to bring more out of my system. Not to the extreme max, but above stock.

If I am covering old material my apologies but I have been spending ever spare moment on these boards covering more material then is sane.

the air coming out of the heatercore is warm, but not enough to hinder other components. also, many people have a minimal amount of air moving through the heatercore, as more air doesn't significantly reduce temps. i can't give you numbers, but the warm intake from the heatercore hasn't produced any negative effects in my case

At this point parts are on the way.

Its gonna be RBX on CPU and DD on Gforce4. Gonna push pull into the case on a chevette HC. Trying to find the right full size case so I can fit it all in and still have good air flow and room for good water flow no joints or kinks. Also some extra room wouldn't hurt for whatever ;)

Good point squeakygeek. Well, CPU + pump heat to be exact, but we know that in this situation pump heat is a practically negligible factor.

PolarExpress - thanks for taking the time to read!!! You have no idea how much I (and others) appreciate it! It's so much easier to answer questions like yours then to answer people who come in saying "i need watercooling lower my temps plz how much and how good a system do i need find part for me plz!!!111one" :D

Take a look at the larger cheiftech style cases - they're very good for watercooling.

If you're using an AMD CPU, you might want to use a DTek White Water instead. The RBX has a very narrow footprint, and it can be difficult to mount it on AMD chips, as it's not wide enough to contact AMD's support pads and such. Also, tests have shown that the White Water is a SLIGHTLY better performing block.

Do you know what pump you want?

AT the moment its going on a:

P4 2.4b
Asus P4s533 mobo
older DDR (2700 methinks)
Ti4200

I have on the way the following:

RBX
DD GPU
Mag 3
ended up getting the chevette HC from D-Tek so i didn't have to mess with barbs.
bunch'o clearflex

I am shopping at all the best tupperware shops for a shroud and gonna make my own res using tupperware as well. Trying to find someone in Canada who has this case:
case (l am trying to get the B model)

I really like how the 3.5' bays have lots of distance and fans! Although a I am gonna still take a nibbler to this bad boy. figure the flow will go:

pump -> HC -> CPU -> GPU -> res

1/2" ID except 1" ID from res to pump?

Also about the block. I was really wanting to go with the WW except that the feeling I got from reading the boards was questionable. That since Little River isn't making them some people feel the quality has slipped somewhat. Looking back there wasn't really any negative feedback prior to this change. I figured from other threads the performance was so close between the two I would just go RBX. Also ( and this is a "feel" thing ) seeing plastic connectors as opposed to metal barbs from the maker suggests cost saving measures have been applied. That makes me wonder what other cost saving measure have been applied that I can't see in the fab process? Again this is just a "feel" thing, but when I leave my system running 24/7 I don't want to be having a panic attack while at work that my system has turned into a water feature in my home.

Back