• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IT7-Max 2 IDE and USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quint

Registered
:( ABit IT7 Max 2, P4 2.4, XP Home OS. Evidently picked up a virus, and all screen would say was "Out of Range." Reformatted and repartitioned HDD and reloaded OS. I had unhooked all hardware except DVD-R drive and HDD before starting. Installed mobo drivers, video card drivers, and all looks well in Device Manager. Then installed remaining hardware drives: floppy, Zip, and DVD, and modem. Everything works except any USB hardware. When I plug in my printer (Samsung ML 1430) or camera to a USB port, the computer does not recognize any new hardware. I installed the printer software, but no communication between printer and computer. I have gone through this process twice, and same result. HELP!!!! :(

Should be Abit IT7 Max 2 and USB

The autocomplete stuck in the IDE and I did not catch it!

A similar thing happened to me. Loaded windows without the lan connected and windows would not read the modem. I reloaded with all hardware connected and then all loaded good. Good luck

Abit IT7 Max 2 and USB

Thanks!! I thought there had to be some glitch with the software. Funny that the first time I ever installed everything on the computer everything worked fine. The XP Home edition I have comes with SP1 on the CD. Wonder why it worked first time, but not now? I'm just not smart enough to understand this stuff. Question: I am not quite sure about the process in the article. There are two yellow highlighted controllers in the device manager list. Do I uninstall the drivers for these two? Or do I just open the USB folder on the CD and install the new driver shown and all will be corrected? I am on a different computer right now, and I don't know exactly what is currently listed in my device mangager. Thanks again!!

Follow up

I followed the instructions in the article and all is well now. The only difference I found with my CD and the one in the article, was that the driver file on my CD had a different name than the one in the article, and after installation when I went to Device Manager, only one of the two controllers highlighted in the article showed to be installed, and it also had a different name. Bottom line is my USB's are working and I am happy again. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad everything went OK for you this time. Some motherboards carry some wierd unwritten quirks. Did you leave all the hardware hooked up when you loaded the OS?

Hardware hooked up

The first time I tried after the computer crashed, I left all hardware hooked up except printer and reloaded OS. This did not work, so I unhooked all but DVD and HDD and reloaded OS. This didn't work either. However, I never reloaded OS. I just installed the missing driver as instructed by the article, hooked up my printer, and it worked. I suspect it would have worked the first time around with all hooked up if I had known about the missing driver. Thanks for all help.

Back