• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2500+ O/C Help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

travisc

Registered
I can't get a decent overclock... *GRR* =)

Abit NF7-S v2.0 (d10 bios)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (AQXEA unlocked)
Thermalright SLK-947U w/Thermaltake Smartfan2 @ MAX
1x512mb Mushkin PC3500 Level 2
OKIA 550W PSU
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
Maxtor 120gb 7200rpm 8mb cache

I just booted up @ 166x11 = stock 1826mhz... @ 1.55 vcore (1.65 stock), and it's completely stable with this low voltage... haven't tried anything lower, just tried this as a test...

I can get 200x11 = 2200mhz (3200+) @ 1.75v stable, but I can't get to 2.3ghz and have it stable...

I want to hit atleast 2.3ghz, and would like 2.4-2.5... This stepping of processor is supposed to be a really good one...

I've upped my vcore all the way 1.95, vdimm 2.9, chipset 1.7... and lowered my timings to 11-3-3-2.5 (if i try cas3, i get beep errors, and have to reset my bios)...

I watch MBM5 all the time, and it says my vcore sometimes drops a lot... @ 1.55 vcore, after running 3dmark03, I checked MBM and the 'LOW' for vcore read 1.49

You fellas think my power supply is junk? I got this PSU because it was cheap, and Omegadrive (maker of ATI Omega Drivers) uses the same one with a lot of stuff hooked to it...

Help please =/

The newer NF7's rev 2.0's undervolt a lot, compaired to my first 2.0 which overvolted. I can set mine to 2v's in the BIOS but once a full load is applied my core voltage drops anywhere from .05 to .08...another words, when it is set to 2v, it only shows 1.95 in windows and at the voltage test points on the motherboard. And when a full load is put on it, the core voltage drops to around 1.92 or so. This is not a PSU issue since I run a Thermaltake 420W PSU w/active PFC. This just means the newer NF7's seriously undervolt now.

The newer NF7's rev 2.0's undervolt a lot, compaired to my first 2.0 which overvolted. I can set mine to 2v's in the BIOS but once a full load is applied my core voltage drops anywhere from .05 to .08...another words, when it is set to 2v, it only shows 1.95 in windows and at the voltage test points on the motherboard. And when a full load is put on it, the core voltage drops to around 1.92 or so. This is not a PSU issue since I run a Thermaltake 420W PSU w/active PFC. This just means the newer NF7's seriously undervolt now.

this isnt a new problem with these boards, they have always undervolted the cpu by 0.02-0.08 volts easy, if not more.........they also tend to overvolt the vdimm by around .1volts as well, so bear that in mind when you set your ram 2.9 volts, your actually giving it 3 volts

the only way around it is to compensate it by giving more power to your cpu in the bios........that said, that is a signifant drop in power, and i would have a look at your psu, what sort of amperage can it sustain on the 12v rail????? you should be looking for about 25 amps min imho

edit: as far as the speed of your cpu goes, nothing is guaranteed when ocing, regardless of stepping........my cpu wont do anything more than 2310, regardless of settings and ive played for hours and hours on end trying, it just wont do it, you might have got a snotter with your cpu. really it could be anything in your rig stopping you from getting the speed you desire, have you tried dropping the multiplier and going for a higher fsb??? this would give better performance than raw cpu speed anyways

Back