• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10850k/Z490 adaptive question need some help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

preciseman

Hi everyone.

New overclocker here, had a question on 10850k/msi z490 unify mobo on the "adaptive" mode.

My z490 board has two modes, adaptive and adaptive + override.

My chip needs about 1.26V to get stable at 5.0GHZ all core.

I've noticed a strange quirk on setting to adaptive mode. If I put in 1.26V on the vcore in the bios settings, when rebooting the PC, the vcore in HWinfo under load sometimes shows 1.25V (which is the minimum VSID I think for 5ghz). If it shows 1.25V, typically I have to RELOAD into the bios, then it picks up the 1.26V, and then boot into Windows, and the setting sticks.

This is really strange behavior and I'm not sure why that is.

When I load into the bios from a cold boot, there's like a 50-50% chance it's either 1.26V or 1.25V. It's like only half the time it's registering the value I hardcoded into the CPU voltage bios line, the other half it's taking the minimum VSID value? This does NOT happen on "auto" or "override" with a hardcoded voltage number. Only on adaptive for some reason.

My workaround is use adaptive+offset mode and put 1.25V with an offset of .01V, this guarantees that I'll hit 1.26V under load every time I load into bios/boot into windows.

Anyone else have this problem? Or is this potentially a defective motherboard? Any help will be appreciated.

Honestly, .01V difference is very little and normal...it could be attributed to software reading versus actual as well. These just aren't that granular.

I dont see a problem here. :chair:

If you want to prevent vdroop, adjust LLC. That said, I'm OCD about it, but 0.01V I don't even sweat. :)

Honestly, .01V difference is very little and normal...it could be attributed to software reading versus actual as well.

At .02V it happens as well which is super weird. At .03+ the behavior stops I think. Just want to make sure it's not a bad motherboard you know?

Feels like normal variance to me. That's actually pretty tight.

(See ninja edits above)

Is this only a thing with adaptive mode? Because with override or auto mode with 1.26, it sticks all the time, and by moving up to lets say 1.27, it sticks immediately.

Not sure... it could be with how software reads it. As I said, 0.01V vdroop is nothing.:)

I normally run override and just adjust llc so load voltage is as close to what I set in the bios as possible.

Edit: did you look at other software to see if they read it the same?

Not sure... it could be with how software reads it. As I said, 0.01V vdroop is nothing.:)

I normally run override and just adjust llc so load voltage is as close to what I set in the bios as possible.

Got it. Do you typically recommend using adaptive or adaptive + offset? I'm running adaptive + offset to hit that number..want to make sure it's not causing any issues. Weird the software displays it correctly in that setting lol.

It could be different if read by a multi-meter... but 0.01V is nothing to worry about. 90% of the time, I'm an override only guy. That said, I would use adaptive. :thup:

It could be different if read by a multi-meter... but 0.01V is nothing to worry about. 90% of the time, I'm an override only guy. That said, I would use adaptive. :thup:

Just saw your edits..

yes, i tried HWinfo and HWmonitor and CPU-Z, all show the same.

What's even more bizzare is that the vcore it shows inside the bios (my MSI board tells you what the current vcore is actually at when loaded into the bios) can be either 1.248 or 1.262 lol. Oh well. Guess adaptive + offset will work for now.

So just found out that the 1.25V I was experiencing at 5ghz is the same voltage as if I left it as "Auto" with adaptive voltage (i.e. didn't have a number coded into the CPU vcore line).

So it appears that sometimes after rebooting even though I have a higher voltage number in that line, it still defaults to "Auto" occasionally lol.

Maybe it does, maybe it's just a simple software variance. Until you test with a multi-meter on voltage read points that don't exist on the board, you'll know for sure.

Again, nothing to worry about.. in fact, quite the opposite. ;)

Back