• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flushing an iwaki pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Halo_Master

Registered
I have just received my iwaki pump, i bought on ebay.(md-15)
It has been used for an aquarium and i want to flush it properly.
Should i just use watter and let it run for 24 hours??or should i add something to the water.Any suggestions?(some people here on the forums are saying woollite with plain tap water would be ok.)

If you just ran a bunch of distilled water through it it would be fine. Maybe put it in a basin or something and just let it circulate the water, and change the water after the first 6 hours or so.

a couple drops of bleach with the first batch of water would help kill any bacteria in there as well. Just make sure that you run clean water through it 2 or 3 times after that to then rinse the bleach out.

Definitely take it apart and clean it if it has been used for an aquarium. You can flush it all you want but you'll never get out all the sludge. Just take out the 6 screws on the front. Very easy to do, you won't break anything.

yep u have to take it apart
i got a huge aquarium pump, stuff build up all over the pump parts.
i'd let it run through water for a while (bleach too if u'd like) take it apart, brush it good, let it dry (very dry) then reassemble. if there's any damage or extensive wear to the parts inside its higly recommened that u replace it (friction + high rpm = scary)

Back