• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MemTest64 crashes even though other memory tests work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is something going on in "general browsing situations" that makes you feel that better RAM performance is needed. I would assume this system is snappy AF and additionally that any memory tuning will be 100% inconsequential for the application of general browsing. If something is slowing down your browsing I would look elsewhere.

So PBO is all about power delivery. The CPU uses an algorithm based on 3 general parameters to determine how fast it can boost: clock speed, power draw, and temperature. You can increase the clock ceiling by 200MHz in the BIOS, this is a setting that was mentioned by Woomack above. PBO itself increases the power limits using three parameters: EDC, PPT, TDC. What each of these limits does is explained here, although a lot has changed since that article was written the groundwork is fundamentally the same. Finally the "-30" that Woomack mentioned is the Curve Optimizer. I don't have a strong understanding of, or first hand experience with it, but the article kind of explains.

While it is possible to tweak these settings in windows using Ryzen Master, it is generally preferred to save a BIOS profile once ideal settings are noted. These settings are actually beneficial to tune if you do want to play around with getting more out of the system, but I would recommend a lot of research into what each setting does and how to manipulate it before you start plugging in different settings.

I get that the memory training process can be harrowing if one doesn't know what to expect, but overall having a boot time of 30-35 seconds is still awesome fast in the general scheme of PC history.
That’s true. My general browsing experience is very snappy already for sure. I’ve been having some issues with tabs flashing for a second when I switch to them and backgrounds loading weirdly, but those are probably issues with Edge, Firefox, or my WiFi lol.

The PBO stuff makes sense too. I suppose Auto PBO may be adjusting EDC, PPT, and TDC a bit differently from the Enabled setting even though the clock speed is the same. I’ll have to enable Advanced (which lets me tune these parameters) from Auto and Enabled to see what the differences are. I’ll try to tweak those manually as well as Curve Optimizer. I would definitely like to get the most out of my system.

I’m just not used to the memory training process, but I see what you’re saying about 30-35 seconds being relatively low. I’ll definitely be happy with that for now until they release any BIOS updates that help.

Ironically, I'd think it would be LESS time considering there are less things on a B650 board compared to X670. This generally applies to the high-end... but I have no idea what motheboard you have (create a signature with your hardware... stick around - post at ONE forum! LOL).
That makes sense since there’s more stuff and all lol. This is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpfDLs

I’ll make a signature though with all that information. I’ll also stick around with this one lol. Thanks!

I mean, we are the most awesomest.... :attn::borg:

Auto it doesn't do anything AFAIK. As you saw, you only get the options when it was enabled. One would think if it's doing anything, there would at least be greyed out options there until you go advanced and they become available.

Auto it doesn't do anything AFAIK. As you saw, you only get the options when it was enabled. One would think if it's doing anything, there would at least be greyed out options there until you go advanced and they become available.
For some reason, there’s four settings: Auto, Disabled, Enabled, and Advanced. It seems only Advanced gives me any options so not really sure what the difference is between Enabled and Auto since they options are greyed out for both. I’ll look at those other parameters to see what the difference is since boost speed at least is the same for both. I will try to go into Advanced mode and manually tune stuff too.

And you definitely are the awesomest for sure! This is a great forum and I’ve learned a lot from this thread alone. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

It seems this issue is worse than I thought since setting PBO to Enabled makes my PC unable to boot up. PBO is definitely actually important unlike thenother two. I’m pretty sure this worked with the previous BIOS version, so I’ll try to revert to that. People are saying the beta BIOS is more stable as well, but I’d rather wait until that leaves beta.

I'm going to suggest, for now, you stick to the latest BIOS and work with it before throwing in the towel based on things you read (this is a reoccurring theme for you.. :p). Another BIOS may be better, but let's actually TRY tweaking the one you have before giving up so easily. Overclocking is really something that needs to be organized and not willy-nilly changing things and instantly giving up and moving on...it's a process that often times requires taking notes of what worked and what didn't to help keep track. :)

There are plenty of guides out there for your CPU, I'd check those out and see what you can do. I don't have an active AMD system at the moment (and don't really overclock using PBO, but I'm a reviewer so different ballgame).

EDIT: Also, you may want to start another thread (here, lol) about overclocking as this thread is about your memory. Also, create a signature with your hardware so it follows you and users can see exactly what you're working with. ;)

Last edited:
I'm going to suggest, for now, you stick to the latest BIOS and work with it before throwing in the towel based on things you read (this is a reoccurring theme for you.. :p). Another BIOS may be better, but let's actually TRY tweaking the one you have before giving up so easily. Overclocking is really something that needs to be organized and not willy-nilly changing things and instantly giving up and moving on...it's a process that often times requires taking notes of what worked and what didn't to help keep track. :)

There are plenty of guides out there for your CPU, I'd check those out and see what you can do. I don't have an active AMD system at the moment (and don't really overclock using PBO, but I'm a reviewer so different ballgame).

EDIT: Also, you may want to start another thread (here, lol) about overclocking as this thread is about your memory. Also, create a signature with your hardware so it follows you and users can see exactly what you're working with. ;)
You’re definitely right about just taking what other people read at face value lol. At least this one case is from personal experience since I remember it working fine for me when I was using the previous BIOS version, but it’s not anymore lol. I did make a bunch of other BIOS changes at the same time though. Changing these settings did definitely resolve my FPS drops and stuttering issues, but you’re right that I should do this in a more organized way since I don’t know what actually works and what doesn’t if I change everything at once. That definitely makes sense.

I’ll look into guides for OCing my CPU then and post about that here. I wanted it to just be plug and play since I read it’s dangerous to OC my CPU and RAM, but I think that’s only if i ramp up the voltages to a ridiculous level. So, I just won’t do that lol.

Also, I made a signature just now but I don’t see it. Maybe it just doesn’t show up on a phone or something.

since I read it’s dangerous to OC my CPU and RAM,
there you go again... :p

With AMD overclocking and PBO, you can't really kill the chip. You adjust four settings (including voltage, but that is typically LOWERED for best results).

But yeah, that's the name of the game, change something, quick test... works, change something else? Doesn't work, adjust the last thing you touched. But yeah, there should be some canned settings you can start with that and work from there as not all canned settings work with the same system/CPU.

But yeah, start another thread about overclocking your CPU and save this one for the memory. ;)

there you go again... :p

With AMD overclocking and PBO, you can't really kill the chip. You adjust four settings (including voltage, but that is typically LOWERED for best results).

But yeah, that's the name of the game, change something, quick test... works, change something else? Doesn't work, adjust the last thing you touched. But yeah, there should be some canned settings you can start with that and work from there as not all canned settings work with the same system/CPU.

But yeah, start another thread about overclocking your CPU and save this one for the memory. ;)
True I didn’t even realize I did it again lol. That’s good to hear though. I’ll change all the BIOS settings I changed before one at a time and see what my canned settings are and all. I’ll make another thread soon about OCing my CPU too. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the signature, looks great! When you're able, please add your PSU and (if you intend on asking for overclocking advice) CPU cooler and case.

I was testing my memory overclocks according to Woomack's (thanks Woomack) regimen but extended (overnight test of bootable memtest86+ ISO, 6-8 hrs. of prime95 large FFT's and even orthos (blend stress CPU and RAM), but I found out that even if all those tests succeeded I was still crashing in Metro:Exodus. So now that game has become my first pass memory test.

I was testing my memory overclocks according to Woomack's (thanks Woomack) regimen but extended (overnight test of bootable memtest86+ ISO, 6-8 hrs. of prime95 large FFT's and even orthos (blend stress CPU and RAM), but I found out that even if all those tests succeeded I was still crashing in Metro:Exodus. So now that game has become my first pass memory test.
Oh okay I see. I don’t have Metro Exodus, but I can buy it to test my memory OC and all. 8 can try Orthos as well though since I haven’t tried that yet. Where is Orthos anyway? I haven’t found that anywhere.

@Segundoh
Orthos is from 2006. It's full name is StressPrime 2004 Orthos by Johnny Lee. It's really more for stressing the CPU than memory testing.
Thanks! I do want to stress my CPU as well, so Orthos definitely sounds useful. I’ll try that out for sure.

Back